NAMES AND PLACES
* An 800-acre area of Patapsco Valley State Park in Carroll County will be opened to bow hunters for white-tail deer from Nov. 2-Jan. 30. Hunting will be by permit only. Permits for the period from Nov. 2-Dec. 12 will be issued by a lottery drawing on Oct. 10 at 10 a.m. at park headquarters. For more information, call (410) 461-5005.
* When Howard Collins took a 40-pound, 4-ounce brown trout from the Little Red River in Arkansas on May 9, he settled a 125-year-old dispute -- he set the world all-tackle record for brown trout, according to the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame.
Prior to Collins' catch on 4-pound test line, three 35- to 39-pound trout had been considered the all-tackle record by three different organizations. The largest fish on record was a 38-pound, 8-ounce brown caught in Loch Awe, Scotland, in 1866 by W. Muir.
* The OC Princess is expanding its schedule of 24-hour offshore fishing trips. Trips now are scheduled for Sept. 13, 20, 27, Oct. 4 and 11. The trips leave at 4 p.m. Sunday and return at the same time Monday. For more information, call (800) 457-6650.
* Earth Teks, a Maryland-based adventure education organization, has initiated a two-phased climber's exchange between the United States and Russia, with climbs to begin in 1993.
Applications are being accepted. For more information, call (301) 972-5468.
* DNR's Freshwater Fisheries Division, Cunningham Falls State Park and Catoctin Mountain National Park will hold two citizen participation workshops to assist in the development of a management plan for Big Hunting Creek in Frederick County. The workshops will be held at the American Legion, 8 Park Lane, Thurmont, from 12:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sept. 26 and Oct. 3.
Friday-Sunday: Norfolk in-the-water boat show at Waterside Marina. For more information, call (215) 449-9910.
Friday-Sept. 20: First annual Fall Flounder Tournament at the Hotel Wachapreague and Island House Restaurant. Cash prizes; entry fee required. For more information, call (804) 787-2105.
* (Items for the Outdoors Journal may be mailed to Outdoors Editor, The Baltimore Sun, 501 N. Calvert Street, Baltimore, Md. 21278-0001. Please include time, date and location of events to be listed as well as a short description of planned activities and a telephone number for more information. The Outdoors Journal is published each Sunday in The Sun. Please mail listings four weeks before the date of the event.)