Firebomb closes high schoolForest Park High School classes...


September 08, 1992

CITY — Firebomb closes high school

Forest Park High School classes were canceled today after someone threw a firebomb through a front window, setting off a sprinkler and causing an estimated $1,500 to $2,000 worth of damage.

No injuries were reported in the incident, which occurred about 5:30 a.m. Cleanup was expected to be completed today, and classes are scheduled to resume tomorrow.

Principal Annette H. Hall said the suspected firebomb crashed through windows at the front of the building and landed on stairs to the school's lower level.

The firebomb did not ignite a fire inside the building, however. Ms. Hall said water from the sprinkler-system damaged part of the first floor and basement.

Teachers remained at work today while cleanup was taking place.

A 34-year-old Virginia man was found shot to death in his car after it crashed into several parked vehicles in East Baltimore about 5:30 a.m. today.

Police said the man, whose name was withheld until his family is notified, was found slumped over the wheel of his 1987 Buick after it slammed into the other cars at Ashland and Patterson Park avenues.

"We don't know if he was parked or was driving down the street when shot," said homicide Detective David P. Peckoo.

He said officers thought they were responding to an accident, but found the man shot several times in the chest. The man was dead on arrival at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

A 32-year-old South Baltimore woman was to appear today at a District Court bail review hearing after being charged with first-degree murder in the weekend shotgun killing of her boyfriend.

Police said Latrice C. Davenport, of the 1500 block of Cleveland St., was arrested at 8 p.m. Sunday shortly after Everett Jones, 30, of the 300 block of S. Dallas St., was shot in the chest during an argument outside her house about her car.


At least seven people died in traffic accidents on Maryland roads over the Labor Day holidays, including two Harford County wrecks that each accounted for two lives, authorities said.

The Harford accidents both occurred Sunday, one early in the day and the other late at night, according to the state police.

The latest accident occurred about 10 p.m. Sunday on Mountain Road south of Cheyenne Drive in Joppa. Police said Rose Mary Williams, 29, of Whiteford, was driving a 1974 Plymouth south on Mountain Road when she tried to pass another vehicle and ran head-on into a northbound 1989 Chevrolet Beretta driven by Troy Vincent Taylor, 17, of Forest Hill.

Both drivers were killed, and the youth's parents were seriously injured. Other fatal accidents, each claiming one life, occurred over the weekend in Prince George's, Washington and Cecil counties.

Anne Arundel

A Baltimore man has been sentenced to seven years in prison for robbing two Anne Arundel convenience stores and leading police on a high-speed chase in a stolen car.

Charles Patrick Cobb, 22, of the 2600 block of Rittenhouse Road, pleaded guilty July 23 to two counts of robbery and one count each of fleeing police and unauthorized use of a stolen car.

Judge Raymond G. Thieme Jr. agreed Friday to allow Cobb to be transferred to Second Genesis, a drug rehabilitation program with 126 beds in Crownsville, when bed space becomes available.

The judge also ordered Cobb, who has been in jail since being apprehended last February, to pay $1,987.56 in restitution to the owner of the stolen car.

Cobb and an alleged accomplice, Bobby Gene Geddings Jr., 40, of the 7400 block of Hawkins Drive in Hanover, Howard County, were charged with robbing a High's store on Telegraph Road in Severn of $138 Feb. 15, and of taking $50 from a High's in the 1000 block of S. Crain Highway in Glen Burnie the next day.

Baltimore County

A 22-year-old lifeguard at the Hampton Pool drowned, apparently while attempting to match a friend's underwater swimming feat.

Other lifeguards found Gregory Lloyd Devigne of the first block of Bussing Court in Timonium in the deep end of the pool about 5:30 p.m. yesterday, Baltimore County police reported.

The lifeguards were inside the pool office when Mr. Devigne began swimming. Police said a guard at the private pool told them Mr. Devigne had tried earlier to match a friend's feat of swimming two laps underwater on one breath and may have been trying again when he drowned.

Guards pulled Mr. Devigne from the pool, in the 700 block of Hampton Lane.

He was pronounced dead at 7:05 p.m. at Greater Baltimore Medical Center.


Hampstead's Planning and Zoning Commission has approved new shopping center, allowing a grocery store move across Md. 30 to a new site.

The center will be home to Festival Foods and four shops when the current Super Thrift changes its name and moves.

Some of nearly 30 Hampstead residents at the meeting contended that moving the store would add an empty building to other vacant commercial spaces in the area.

But commissioners agreed that merely moving the grocery store across the street would not diminish the need for its services.


Anika Thompson became enamored of computers at the age of 8. Now, at 17, she has parlayed her interest into a software program that she designed and is marketing to school districts throughout Maryland.

The program has been accepted by 10 schools involved with the Maryland Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement program, a precollege program for minority and female students interested in science, engineering and other math-related fields. Twenty-seven other schools are reviewing her program.

Anika, president of the MESA chapter at Oakland Mills High School, is believed to be the first student awarded such a contract by MESA. She hopes to market the program to schools in other states. She is selling the software for $95 a program, and plans to use the money for college.

The Oakland Mills senior says she spent four months developing the Apple-compatible data base program that organizes student records, work group activities, and events.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.