Wallace A. Vlassis Restaurant owner

September 08, 1992

Wallace A. Vlassis, retired owner of a popular hot dog and carryout restaurant near the Maryland Penitentiary, died Thursday at his home after a heart attack. He was 74.

A Mass of Christian burial was being offered today at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation, Maryland Avenue at Preston Street.

From 1972 until his retirement in 1985, Mr. Vlassis, known to many as "Wally," operated the A. J. Dog House Carry Out at Monument Street and the Fallsway.

Mr. Vlassis owned and operated the Highlander Bar on Eastern Avenue in the late 1950s and the Maryland Lunch on Caroline Street in the early 1960s.

He was born in Aretsou, Turkey, in 1918. Four years later, he and his family settled in Greece, having been among the Anatolians driven out of Turkey by the government. Just a year later, his family immigrated to the United States, settling in Lancaster, Pa., where Mr. Vlassis attended school.

In 1938, Mr. Vlassis moved to Baltimore and began working at the Athens Bakery in East Baltimore. One year later, he married Harriette Hagegorge.

Mr. Vlassis taught himself to play the violin, piano and bouzouki -- a Greek instrument similar to a mandolin. He recently learned to play the mandolin and had just begun teaching himself how to play the concertina, an instrument similar to the accordion.

Mr. Vlassis was an Ahepan, a member in the Greek fraternal organization, as well as a 32nd-degree Mason and a member of the Boumi Shrine.

He was active in church affairs at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation and was president of the church's Golden Age Club.

Besides his wife, he is survived by two daughters, Renee Themelis and Tasia Cavas, both of Baltimore; a son, Anthony Vlassis of Baltimore; a sister, Rose Padussis of Severna Park; and six grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.