Baltimore man who led police on chase gets seven years for thefts Second man in case yet to stand trial

September 06, 1992|By Dennis O'Brien | Dennis O'Brien,Staff Writer

A Baltimore man was sentenced to seven years in prison Friday for robbing two convenience stores and leading police on a high-speed chase in a stolen car.

Charles Patrick Cobb, 22, of the 2600 block of Rittenhouse Road pleaded guilty July 23 to two counts of robbery and one count each of fleeing police and unauthorized use of a stolen car.

Under state sentencing guidelines, he faced a maximum of nine years and eight months in prison.

Circuit Judge Raymond G. Thieme Jr. originally sentenced Cobb to 12 years but agreed to reduce the sentence to seven years when Assistant Public Defender James McCarthy pointed out that the 12-year term exceeded the maximum.

The judge agreed to allow Cobb to be transferred to Second Genesis, a drug rehabilitation program with 126 beds in Crownsville, when bed space becomes available.

He could be released early if he completes the program.

The judge also ordered Cobb, who has been in jail since his arrest in February, to pay $1,987.56 in restitution to the owner of the stolen car.

Cobb was charged in two convenience store robberies with an alleged accomplice, Bobby Gene Geddings Jr., 40, of the 7400 )) block of Hawkins Drive in Hanover, Howard County.

Mr. Geddings' trial is scheduled for Oct. 6.

The two were charged with robbing $138 from a High's store in the 7800 block of Telegraph Road in Severn on Feb. 15, and of robbing $50 from a High's in the 1000 block of South Crain Highway in Glen Burnie the next day.

Cobb was seen by police at about 11:45 p.m. Feb. 19 in a 1988 Pontiac Trans-Am that had been reported stolen earlier in the evening from a Millersville man.

The officers tried to pull him over at the intersection of Quarterfield Road and Route 97 in Glen Burnie, but he led the officers on a chase at speeds exceeding 110 mph.

At one point, he turned off his lights to elude them.

The chase finally ended on White's Road, off Ritchie Highway in Severna Park, where Cobb fled from the car.

Police searched for several hours with a helicopter and police dogs. He was arrested while walking along Ritchie Highway near the chase scene.

During questioning by police, he admitted to stealing the car and acknowledged his role in the two convenience store robberies.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.