Rape, slaying of woman charged to city man, 18 He sometimes lived in the same building

September 04, 1992|By Roger Twigg | Roger Twigg,Staff Writer Staff writer Richard Irwin contributed to this article.

An 18-year-old man was charged yesterday with the rape and murder of a West Baltimore woman whose 6-year-old daughter listened to the attack from another room.

Police said the man occasionally resided in the same apartment building in the 4900 block of Challedon Road where the victim lived, but he apparently knew her only by sight.

Clayton Haywood Boone was charged with first-degree murder, rape, robbery and a weapons violation after detectives questioned him Wednesday night about the death Monday of Kacynthia Maria Clark.

Mr. Boone of the 4100 block of Boarman Ave. in Northwest Baltimore was being held last night at the Central District lockup awaiting a bail hearing. Sam Ringgold, a police spokesman, said Mr. Boone was charged as a result of statements that he made to investigators and undisclosed physical evidence that was recovered.

Ms. Clark, 28, had been talking on the telephone about 11:30 a.m. Monday when someone knocked on the door of her apartment at the Windsor Forest complex, police said.

The other person on the phone told police she heard the victim answer the door and then cry out. Seconds later, someone hung up the phone. The assailant ordered the victim's daughter, Brittany Harrison, into another room where she remained while listening to her mother's screams, police said.

They said the assailant took the victim's purse after the attack.

The girl emerged to find her mother lying on the floor, bleeding from multiple stab wounds, police said. The girl called 911 for assistance. Ms. Clark, who was a secretary in the state attorney general's office, was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where she died about 2 1/2 hours later.

Police said Mr. Boone had lived occasionally with his girlfriend in an apartment in the same building where the victim resided.

Homicide Detective Gary Dunnigan said the suspect arrived at police headquarters yesterday evening for an interview.

Detective Dunnigan said that the interview, physical evidence and information gathered from several locations led to the charges.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.