Kernel of truth emerges in fire: Popcorn is culprit

September 03, 1992

About a dozen Baltimore County firefighters, two fire engines and a ladder truck were called to the county courthouse yesterday when smoke alarms in the 130-year-old stone building went off.

The culprit?

"Popcorn," said Capt. Reggie Shephard Jr. of the Fire Department.

An unidentified county worker in the courthouse basement apparently decided to prepare a bag of microwave popcorn, but the popcorn burned and smoke filled the basement, Captain Shephard said.

"It's a common occurrence," he said. "They put it in and forget it."

No one was injured, and nothing was damaged.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.