Girl recounts slaying of her mother at home

September 02, 1992|By Michael James | Michael James,Staff Writer

Six-year-old Brittany Harrison was to have had her first day yesterday at Dickey Hill Elementary School. Instead, she was home with relatives, recounting the last moments of her mother's life.

"She told us she dialed 911, and told the woman on the line, 'A man stabbed and raped my mommy,' " said her grandfather, Ernie Green.

Her mother, Kacynthia Maria Clark, 28, died hours after being savagely attacked Monday morning in her apartment at the Windsor Forest complex in West Baltimore.

An unidentified man cut her throat after she answered his knock at the door, police said. He is believed to have sexually assaulted her and to have taken a purse containing no money.

Little Brittany was ordered by the attacker to go to her room and stay there, Mr. Green said in an interview at his West Baltimore home yesterday. When the child worked up the nerve to leave her room, she found her mother severely bleeding.

The child called for help. Her mother died at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center at 2:04 p.m.

"She understands that her mother is gone, but she understands like a child," Mr. Green said. "One of the other kids said to her, 'It's a good thing the man didn't take any money. She wouldn't be able to buy groceries.' And Brittany said, 'She won't be needing groceries now. She's gone.' "

Police had not made any arrests last night and were unable to say whether Ms. Clark was attacked by a stranger or an acquaintance. Brittany is staying with one of her grandmothers.

Ms. Clark, who had just begun working as a secretary in the state attorney general's office, was talking to a friend on the telephone at 11:30 a.m. Monday when she was interrupted by a knock at the door, said Agent Doug Price, a city police spokesman. She put the phone down and the woman on the other end said she heard Ms. Clark open her door. After a few moments, the caller said she heard a struggle, then screams, Agent Price said.

The caller said someone then hung up the telephone, prompting her to call the police.

Ms. Clark separated from her husband four years ago and had recently finalized her divorce, family members said. Her former husband is not considered a suspect.

Ms. Clark moved two months ago with Brittany, her only child, to Windsor Forest Apartments.

Located in West Baltimore off Windsor Mill Road, Windsor Forest Apartments has well-groomed lawns and three-story buildings. Residents said the complex is the scene of occasional burglaries and auto thefts but not violent crime.

But just across the street is Leakin Park, where the bodies of murder victims are found by police from time to time. The area draws an occasional "bad guy," said Darrick Strawder, who has lived at Windsor Forest for five years.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.