Police still seeking robber, kidnapper of restaurateur He seemed to know victim's routine

September 02, 1992|By Kris Antonelli | Kris Antonelli,Staff writer

Police in two counties were still looking yesterday for the man who kidnapped a 67-year-old Davidsonville man as he left his house, robbed him and then drove to his Prince George's County restaurant and tried to rob it.

At 5:15 a.m. Monday, Robert Beall was getting into his car in the driveway of his home in the 3600 block of Queen Anne Bridge Road when he was ambushed by a man who said he had a gun and threatened to kill him.

"Apparently there was a hill where [the assailant] could hide very easily," said Officer Terry Robey, police spokeswoman. "He was out of sight when Mr. Beall came out of the house."

Mr. Beall, part owner of the Ledo Restaurant in Langley Park, was shoved into the passenger seat of of his 1990 Ford Crown Victoria, police said, and his assailant began driving toward Prince George's County.

As they drove, Officer Robey said, the man demanded Mr. Beall's jacket. Later, he turned into a secluded driveway off Church Road in Bowie and took Mr. Beall's Rolex watch and wallet, then told him he wanted more money and said he would drive back to Mr. Beall's house where the robber knew there was money in a safe.

When Mr. Beall said he did not have keys to get back inside, the robber drove to Ledo's restaurant on University Boulevard.

When they arrived at the restaurant, an employee opened the door for them and the robber pulled his hand from his shirt, revealing that he had no gun. Quickly, he jumped into Mr. Beall's car and sped off.

Police still hadn't found the car last night.

Officer Robey said it appears that the robber was familiar with Mr. Beall's routine.

"He knew that Mr. Beall came out of the house every morning at about the same time," she said. And although he didn't know his victim personally, "he knew he owned a restaurant," she added.

Mr. Beall's wife, Thelma Beall, said she was asleep inside the house when her husband was kidnapped.

"I didn't hear anything," she said. "He wasn't seriously injured, but he has a heart condition, and how he got through this without a heart attack, I'll never know."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.