Man pleads guilty in the stabbing and abduction of a businessman

September 01, 1992|By Darren M. Allen | Darren M. Allen,Staff Writer

A 24-year-old Baltimore County man pleaded guilty yesterday to attempted first-degree murder and kidnapping for his involvement in the abduction and stabbing of a Baltimore businessman.

David Teddy Yoswick of Overlea was sentenced to life in prison on the attempted murder charge and given a 30-year sentence for the kidnapping conviction.

Carroll County Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. suspended all but 40 years from the life term. Yoswick will serve the sentences concurrently.

Frank Allen Storch, a private detective and real estate management company president, was kidnapped Feb. 25 from a Howard County motel parking lot. From there, Yoswick took Mr. Storch to another motel, handcuffed him and forced him to spend the night in the bathroom, State's Attorney Thomas E. Hickman said in court.

The state's attorney said the next day Yoswick drove Mr. Storch to a creek along Arrington Road near Sykesville. When they got out of the car, the victim "was told he was going to be killed," Mr. Hickman said.

"Yoswick then stabbed Mr. Storch several times in the stomach. Mr. Storch fell, and Yoswick immediately took hold of him and held his head under water, attempting to drown him," Mr. Hickman said.

After Mr. Storch went limp in the water -- in an attempt to make Yoswick believe he was dead -- Yoswick fled, the prosecutor said. Mr. Storch -- limping and bleeding -- was found at the side of Arrington Road by a passing motorist.

Yoswick drove to a Baltimore landfill the next day and dumped a large plastic bag containing Mr. Storch's driver's license, private investigator's license, photographs, credit cards and bloody shirt, Mr. Hickman said.

Yoswick and his girlfriend, Karen Sue Palido, 32, were arrested several days later at Ms. Palido's Elkridge trailer home. They were charged with kidnapping, attempted murder and robbery. Her trial is Sept. 28. The victim was not in the courtroom for yesterday's plea agreement, in which prosecutors dropped the remaining 18 charges against Yoswick in exchange for his guilty plea.

Mr. Hickman and defense attorney Linda Sorg Ostovitz hammered out the deal late Friday. Ms. Ostovitz could not be reached for comment.

Had Yoswick gone to trial, he could have been sentenced to life in prison. Attorneys said he likely would not have had any of the term suspended.

"It's a better deal than it looks from the surface," said Judson K. Larrimore, a public defender who represents Ms. Palido. "Had a jury convicted him, he could have gotten life. . .The suspended sentence at least gives him a chance to make parole someday."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.