What you need to know about insuring your condominium

August 30, 1992|By Pamela Sherrod | Pamela Sherrod,Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO -- All is quiet on the home front until your dishwasher goes on the blink while you're away. An all-day rinse cycle spills onto your floor and into the common areas of your condominium building.

Evidence that something is wrong meets you at the door as you insert the key. Your feet sink into a soggy hallway carpet, and hysterical cries drift up from your downstairs neighbors -- vows of revenge for the interior rain shower.

As for your condominium unit, let's face it: You've got a mess on your hands. Kitchen tiles have buckled into the shape of noodles. Water is ankle-deep.

What could be worse? Your insurance could be inadequate.

There are two kinds of insurance for condominiums: the association's master policy, which insures the building in case of fire or other damage or liability, and the policy carried by the unit owner, which covers the home's interior and its contents. The latter is like a homeowner's policy, with some important differences.

"With a condo, you are insuring space -- the interior space -- more so than a building," said Bob Lapinski, a spokesman for Allstate Insurance Co. in the Chicago suburb of Northbrook, Ill. "A home has more physical space, inside and outside, to be insured by the owner."

For individual condo owners, the question is which portion of the condo is yours and what will be covered by the condominium association insurance plan, Mr. Lapinski said. What is covered under your condo association's insurance is also important.

"Every condo buyer has the right to see the certificate of insurance and the policy of the [condo] association," said Jean Nelson, account executive at Near North Insurance Brokerage Co. "The mortgage companies the [condo] buyers deal with look into this when the buyers are making the purchase. The mortgage companies want to know how much insurance the buildings are carrying before they agree to the loan."

Ms. Nelson said condominium owners can determine what they are responsible for by turning to their association's declaration. A condominium's declaration defines the unit you own and outlines your responsibilities as an owner. It also tells you what the building's insurance plan covers.

The condominium owner and the insurance agent can determine how much homeowner's insurance is needed and meld that coverage with the coverage provided by the condominium association.

For example, individual condominium owners of one of the buildings that Near North insures must insure their personal property, such as household contents, storage locker contents, non-built-in appliances (refrigerators and stoves), patio doors, and heat and air conditioning units, compressors and hot water heaters. Individual unit owners are also responsible for insuring alterations or additions made to the units, including decorating (wallpaper, paneling, mirrors, window treatments or paint finishes), floor coverings, upgraded cabinets and counter tops, upgraded plumbing and electrical fixtures and upgraded built-in appliances.

Condominium owners should also make sure that personal liability is part of their insurance plan, with provisions for any domestic help under workers' compensation.

The cost of condo insurance is determined by the value of what the owner has to be insured. Coverage can range from $50,000 to millions, depending on the value of the condominium and personal property (clothing, jewelry and furnishings).

"In some cases, condo insurance may be more than renter's and less than a regular homeowner policy," said Robin Davis, underwriter at Exchange Insurance Planners Inc. "But it depends on what you have to be insured."

Ms. Nelson said there is no recommended amount of condominium insurance. "Mr. Average could have $50,000 to $75,000, while someone who has many furs and jewels could be well into the millions for personal belongings alone."

Insurance brokers say it is not necessary for individual condo owners to be insured with the same insurance company that covers the condominium building.

"Some condo owners want to be insured with the same company that insures the building, but it's not mandatory," said Mr. Lapinski.

William DeMille, executive vice president of J. S. James Management Co., which manages condominium buildings in and around Chicago, says it's typical for a condo declaration to state that the building's policies will insure the perimeter and partition walls and ceilings, through the plaster and primer only; doors through the primer only; floors through the concrete only; original tile in the bathrooms; original cabinets and counter tops; original built-in appliances (permanently attached/cannot operate freestanding, such as stoves, dishwashers and disposals); and original plumbing and electrical fixtures.

But it's important to scrutinize the subjects covered in your condominium declaration.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.