Consistency has been the key to the season for Manchester resident Jesse Wentz. Though he hasn't reached the winner's circle, he's almost always among the top 15 and rarely fails to finish.
Last weekend Wentz moved closer to the top spot, placing fifth in the 25-lap sprint feature Sunday at Susquehanna Speedway, despite threatening weather and rainouts at other area tracks. In other weekend motor-sports action:
* Cris Eash of Hanover, a former Woodbine resident, was third in the 20-lap sprint feature at Williams Grove Speedway on Aug. 14. Eash also was 16th in the prestigious Knoxville Nationals feature race the following night in Iowa.
* Steve Owings of Westminster was second in the micro sprint at Trail-Way Speedway in Hanover, Pa., Aug. 14 and was one of the three heat winners.
In the Trail-Way points standings, Gregg Messersmith of Hampstead leads in the eight-cylinder stock class with 346 points. Mark Shorb of Westminster is in fourth with 305. Greg Richardson of Sykesville is 10th with 212, Gary Herman of Hampstead is 14th with 158 and Wayne McClelland of Westminster is 21st with 68 points.
Brad Green of Westminster is seventh in the four-cylinder stocks standings with 252 points. In the micro sprint standings, Mike Stull of Westminster is second with 513. Brad McClelland, also of Westminster, is third with 468, and Steve Owings has 388 points in sixth place.
Here is a look at the schedule:
* Mason-Dixon Dragway, Hagerstown: Points racing plus classics from the 1950s and 1957 Chevy wheel-standers; gates open at 10:30 a.m., time trials at noon, eliminations at 4 p.m. (301) 791-5193.
* Susquehanna Speedway, Newberrytown, Pa: Sprints, late models, mini sprints and thunder racing starts at 7 p.m. (717) 938-9170.
* Trail-Way Speedway, Hanover, Pa.: Micro-sprints, four- and eight-cylinder stocks and enduro; racing starts at 8 p.m. (717) 624-2755.
* Mason-Dixon Dragway, Hagerstown: Last Friday night street challenge; gates open at 10:30 a.m., time trials at noon, eliminations at 4 p.m. (301) 791-5193
* Williams Grove Speedway, Mechanicsburg, Pa.: Sprints, late models and sportsmen; racing starts at 8 p.m. (717) 766-4778
* Hagerstown Speedway: Triple 20-lap features for late models, joined by limited late models, modified semi-late models, pure stock daredevils and four-cylinder pure stocks; gates open at 6 p.m., racing starts at 8. (301) 582-0640
* 75-80 Dragway, Monrovia: Racing in several classes; gates open at 1 p.m. (301) 865-5102
* Winchester (Va.) Speedway: Late models, semi-lates and four-cylinders. (703) 667-8143
* Trail-Way Speedway, Hanover, Pa.: Cycles; racing starts at 1 p.m. (717) 359-4310
* Lincoln Speedway, Hanover, Pa.: Sprints, semi-late models and thunder cars; gates open at 5:30, racing starts at 7:30.
* Susquehanna Speedway, Newberrytown, Pa: York County Racing Club day featuring sprints, limited sprints and sportsmen; racing starts at 7 p.m. (717) 938-9170.
* Mason-Dixon Dragway, Hagerstown: Last Friday night street challenge; gates open at 10:30 a.m., time trials at noon, eliminations at 4 p.m. (301) 791-5193.