Nursing home faces possible cutoff of Medicare reimbursements Facility under ban on new admissions

August 22, 1992|By Frank D. Roylance | Frank D. Roylance,Staff Writer

The Autumn Gardens Nursing Home in West Baltimore, already under a state ban on new admissions because of patient care and management problems, is now facing a Sept. 10 cutoff of federal Medicare payments.

The Health Care Finance Administration has notified the nursing home that patients admitted after Sept. 10 will not be eligible for Medicare reimbursements.

Payments for patients admitted before Sept. 10 will end Oct. 8.

The cutoffs can be rescinded if problems at the nursing home are resolved, said administration spokesman David Sayen.

"In most cases, this stage of the process does not lead to a facility being out of the program," he said. "It just leads to correction."

Maryland health officials banned new admissions to Autumn Gardens on June 23, after inspectors reported evidence of inadequate care and commingling residents' money with the home's operating accounts.

Health and Mental Hygiene Secretary Nelson J. Sabatini also accused Autumn Gardens, 3313 Poplar St., of poor financial management and operating with 12 patients more than the 52 allowed in its license.

Co-owner Walter Dowe said he was trying to address the problems with new management.

But reinspection of the nursing home last month found continuing violations, and state officials extended the ban on admissions through Tuesday.

Failure to correct the problems could lead to revocation of Autumn Garden's license. But Department of Health and Mental Hygiene spokeswoman Tori Leonard said the department is still trying to help the nursing home correct its problems and avoid closure.

"We're not in the business of trying to shut them down. We're trying to help them," she said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.