Albert Vaughn Williams, a road building contractor who was active in real estate development, died of heart failure Thursday at his home in the Woodbrook area.
A memorial service for Mr. Williams, who was 97 and known as A. V. Williams, is scheduled for 2:30 this afternoon at the Second Presbyterian Church, 4200 St. Paul St.
He was president of the Williams Construction Co., which he started in 1929 and which built many parts of interstate highways in Maryland and nearby states, including the Baltimore and Washington beltways.
From 1920 to 1928, he was a partner in the Roberts Paving Co. in Salisbury, which worked on roads as far west as Texas. In addition to developing shopping centers and a residential development in Baltimore County, he farmed leased oyster beds in the Nanticoke River. He and a brother also started and owned for a time Williams Mobile Offices, which builds, sells and leases mobile offices and modular buildings.
Born in Nanticoke, he earned a civil engineering degree at the University of Maryland in 1917. He won letters in both lacrosse and football and was center on the 1916 team that won the state championship by trouncing the Johns Hopkins University, 54-0.
From 1917 until 1920, he served as an officer in the Marine Corps, reaching the rank of captain with duties that included building harbor facilities for Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic.
He was a member of the Watermen's Association and a supporter of projects to keep the Nanticoke and Wicomico rivers clean. He was also a supporter of churches in the area and scholarship programs, and was a member of the M and Terrapin clubs at the University of Maryland. The university named an engineering research building for him in 1987.
He married the former Blanche O'dell in 1939; she died in January.
He is survived by a daughter, Jennie Lee Williams Fowlkes of Woodbrook; a son, Albert H. Williams of Cockeysville; and five grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the Second Presbyterian Church or the Nanticoke United Methodist Church.