BASEBALL American League CHICAGO WHITE SOX -- Clamed Scott Hemond, catcher-outfielder, on waivers from the Oakland Athletics. Optioned Warren Newson, outfielder, to Vancouver of the Pacific Coast League. Placed Bo Jackson, outfielder, on the emergency disabled list.
KANSAS CITY ROYALS -- Signed Juan Samuel, second baseman. Optioned Terry Shumpert, second baseman, to Omaha of the American Association.
National Basketball Association WASHINGTON BULLETS -- Named Chuck Douglas assistant general manager.
United States Basketball League ATLANTA EAGLES -- Named Barry Flink vice president of marketing.
National Football League
* BUFFALO BILLS -- Waived Kenneth Sims, defensive end.
DALLAS COWBOYS -- Signed Jim Jeffcoat, defensive end.
* DETROIT LIONS -- Signed Mel Farr, wide receiver.
LOS ANGELES RAIDERS -- Agreed to terms with Lionel Washington, defensive back, on a three-year contract.
9/* MIAMI DOLPHINS -- Waived Alex Waits, punter.
Arena Football League
* CLEVELAND THUNDERBOLTS -- Signed Ron Vargo, lineman.
DETROIT DRIVE -- Signed Danny Lockett, lineman.
National Hockey League HARTFORD WHALERS -- Signed Trevor Steinburg, right wing. Named Kevin McCarthy assistant coach.
East Coast Hockey League NASHVILLE KNIGHTS -- Named George Kozak director of player personnel and assistant coach.
COLORADO ATHLETIC CONFERENCE -- Named Jim Andrus commissioner.
* BRIDGEPORT -- Named Bob Baird sports information director, assistant director of athletics and assistant softball coach.
CORNELL -- Named Robert Williams assistant basketball coach.
* EAST CAROLINA -- Named Steve Gowan assistant marketing director.
* KANSAS -- Named Michael Center men's tennis coach.
MARIST -- Named Kevin Doherty defensive coordinator; Gary Doherty defensive line coach; Ken Harrison men's tennis coach, and Sally Johnston women's volleyball coach.
SACRED HEART -- Named Trish Elser women's graduate assistant basketball coach.