G. Harrold Carswell, Nixon nomineeTALLAHASSEE, Fla...


August 01, 1992

TALLAHASSEE, FLA. — G. Harrold Carswell, Nixon nominee

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Former federal appeals court judge G. Harrold Carswell, who was nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court by President Nixon, then rejected by the Senate in a bitter political battle, died yesterday. Mr. Carswell, who was 72, died of lung cancer, said his son, Scott Carswell of Tallahassee.

The former 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals judge died at Tallahassee Memorial Regional Medical Center, his son said. He had retired in the mid-1970s and lived in nearby Monticello.

Mr. Nixon nominated Mr. Carswell for the Supreme Court in 1970 after the Senate rejected his nomination of Clement J. Haynsworth in a battle over ethics and civil rights.

The Senate rejected Mr. Carswell after reporters uncovered a speech in which he endorsed racial segregation as a legislative candidate in Georgia. Law experts also questioned his qualifications.

Mr. Carswell resigned from the federal appeals court in New Orleans after his nomination was rejected.

He sought the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate in 1970 but was defeated in the primary. Mr. Carswell later practiced corporate law in Tallahassee.

In 1976, he was convicted of a battery charge and fined $100 for making homosexual advances to an undercover Tallahassee police officer in a men's room at a shopping mall. Mr. Carswell entered a written plea of innocent and refused to comment on the incident.

A graduate of Duke University and a law graduate of Mercer University, he served as a federal prosecutor for five years and a federal district judge for 12 years before joining the appeals court.

A funeral is scheduled for 4 p.m. tomorrow at St. John's Episcopal Church in Tallahassee.

In addition to his son, survivors include his wife, Virginia Simmons Carswell; two daughters; another son; and seven grandchildren. A Mass of Christian burial for Peter T. D'Anna, a retired executive of Mars Supermarkets Inc., will be offered at 10 a.m. today at Christ the King Roman Catholic Church, Sollers Point Road and Dundalk Avenue.

Mr. D'Anna, who was 77 and lived on Liberty Parkway in Dundalk, died Tuesday at the Ivy Hall Geriatric Center of complications of a stroke.

He retired because of ill health six years ago as chief produce buyer and supervisor of produce departments of the family-owned supermarket chain.

With Mars since 1956, he earlier owned a dry cleaning business called Veterans Dry Cleaners and before that, a fruit and vegetable stand in Lexington Market.

Born in Baltimore, he attended City College and was a member of the Dundalk Lodge of the Order of the Sons of Italy.

His survivors include two daughters, Concetta T. DeCrette of Dundalk and Patricia D. Glacken of White Marsh; two sons, Vincent F. D'Anna of Bel Air and Peter T. D'Anna Jr. of Joppatowne; four brothers, Joseph V. D'Anna of Dundalk, Carmen V. D'Anna of the Breezy Point area, Angelo N. D'Anna of Kingsville and Anthony S. D'Anna of Dundalk; a sister, Concetta T. D'Anna of Dundalk; 15 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Marjorie A. Leland

Retired real estate agent

A memorial service for Marjorie A. Leland, a former real estate agent who had been active in church work, is set for 1:30 p.m. today at Trinity Episcopal Church, 120 Allegheny Ave., Towson.

Mrs. Leland, 92, moved to Annapolis from the Towson area about eight years ago.

She died last Saturday at an Annapolis nursing home of heart failure.

She had been an agent for Realty Inc. in Towson from 1954 until 1983.

A member of Trinity Episcopal Church until her death, she had been president of the Rectors Guild and the Altar Guild.

The former Marjorie Andrews was a native of New York City, where she completed her education at a business college before becoming secretary to the first vice president of the Bankers Trust Co. In 1925, she moved to St. Augustine, Fla., and became secretary to the adjutant general of Florida.

The next year, she married Warren Allston Leland, an engineer who worked in South Carolina for a time before they moved to the Baltimore area in 1933. Mr. Leland, who became president of the Bollinger-Leland Co., which did concrete construction, died in 1965.

Survivors include two daughters, Elizabeth L. Stanfield of Annapolis and Marjorie L. Blackwell of Piedmont, Calif.; three granddaughters; and three great-grandchildren.

The family suggested that memorial contributions could be made to Trinity Episcopal Church.

Irving Taustin

Lawyer, businessman

Services for Irving Taustin, a retired New York City lawyer who had been active in businesses in Ocean City for many years, were held yesterday at Holloway Funeral Home in Salisbury.

Mr. Taustin, 87, died Wednesday at the Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury after an apparent heart attack.

He was a partner with his brother, Sam D. Taustin of Ocean City, in two restaurants and nightclubs, the Embers since the 1960s and the Bonfire since the 1970s. He was also active in another family business, the Candy Kitchen.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.