Glen Burnie man pleads guilty to battery in stabbing of twin

July 31, 1992|By John Rivera | John Rivera,Staff Writer

A Glen Burnie man who stabbed his twin brother in fight over a woman pleaded guilty yesterday in Circuit Court to battery and resisting arrest.

Jeffrey D. Aliff, 20, of the 1600 block of Furnace Drive, faces a maximum of 18 months in jail when he is sentenced on Sept. 24. He remained free on $50,000 bond pending sentencing.

Assistant State's Attorney Frederick M. Paone said he was frustrated in his attempt to prosecute Aliff on the more serious charge of attempted murder because the victim, John B. Aliff Jr., did not want his brother jailed and would not cooperate with him.

Jeffrey Aliff was accused of stabbing his brother in the thigh with a 15-inch kitchen knife during a fight in the early morning of January 24. The knife severed an artery, nearly causing John Aliff to die from blood loss.

The fight began as an argument earlier in the evening while the two brothers were at a bar, when Jeffrey Aliff began making advances toward his brother's girlfriend, according to court documents. All three returned to the house on Furnace Drive, where the two brothers live with their parents.

The brothers were in the kitchen when the argument started up again. Jeffrey Aliff punched his brother in the face. John Aliff punched him back.

Jeffrey Aliff grabbed a glass beer mug and smashed it on the back of his brother's head. Jeffrey Aliff then grabbed a knife and stabbed his brother in the left thigh, severing the artery and causing heavy bleeding.

John Aliff crawled to a bathroom and locked the door. Jeffrey Aliff got a larger knife from the kitchen and pursued his brother, first attempting to break down the bathroom door, and then punching holes in the wall.

By the time police arrived, John Aliff's blood pressure had become critically low and he was flown by MedEvac helicopter to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he had surgery and eventually recovered.

Jeffrey Aliff had locked himself in his sick father's bedroom to elude police. When an officer ordered him out, Mr. Aliff reportedly screamed, "Get out of my house. You can't lock me up because he is my brother and will not press charges."

When the officer tried to arrest him, Mr. Aliff began fighting. He punched one officer in the face, kicked another in the groin and tried to bite a third.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.