H. L. Williamson Jr.
Black & Decker official
A memorial service for Harry L. Williamson Jr., who became proficient in several handcrafts after he retired as an official of the Black & Decker Corp., will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, Boyce and Carrollton avenues in Ruxton.
Mr. Williamson, who was 84, died Monday at St. Joseph Hospital after a blood vessel ruptured while he was at his home on Rider Avenue in Riderwood.
He retired in 1973 as director of engineering policies and procedures and export planning for the inter- national division of Black & Deck- er.
He had started working for the company in 1958. In 1965, he became president of a pneumatic tool manufacturing subsidiary in Hudson, Ohio.
Born in Nashville, Tenn., he earned an electrical engineering degree in 1928 from Vanderbilt University and went to work for the General Electric Co. as an engineer in Schenectady, N.Y.
Mr. Williamson came to Baltimore in 1940 as sales promotion manager of the Locke Insulator Co. In 1953, GE transferred him to Bloomfield, N.J., where he served as sales manager of the Weathertron Division, which made heat pumps.
He lived in Ruxton while working for Locke and settled in Riderwood after returning from Ohio.
After his retirement, he began working in several different handcrafts, according to his daughter, Sue W. Staats, of Sacramento, Calif. "He would say, 'That looks like fun,' and then tackle it," she said.
As a woodworker, Mr. Williamson made reproduction 18th century furniture, full-size and in half- or one-third size, which he gave to family members and friends.
He also built a valence with the biblical quotation, "I am the good shepherd," carved into it. It is installed behind the altar at the Church of the Good Shepherd. His donations to the church also included several pieces of furniture he made.
His woodwork for the Hardy Garden Club brought him an honorary membership in the group.
Also, he did needlepoint, making hangings, pillows and other decorative pieces. He took up tailoring and made clothing for members of his family.
A member of L'Hirondelle Club, he also belonged to the Friends of the American Wing of the Baltimore Museum of Art and took frequent trips with that group.
In addition to his daughter, he is survived by his wife of 55 years, the former Sue Nuckols; a son, Robert S. Williamson of Brookline, Mass.; and five grandchildren. A Mass of Christian burial for Eugene J. Beres, a drummer who played in local bands and a musical instrument salesman, will be offered at 10 a.m. today at Our Lady of Hope Roman Catholic Church, North Boundary and Lynch roads in Dundalk.
Mr. Beres, 58, died Sunday of cancer at his home on Kavanagh Road.
For 23 years, he sold instruments in the offices of the National Wholesale Music Corp. and earlier had worked as a barber at Robert's Barber Shop on Eastern Avenue.
For many years, he played the drums in his brother's band, the Eddie Beres Orchestra, which performed at social events for many years and on its own Saturday and Sunday afternoon radio program in the late 1940s and early 1950s. He also played with the house band for the Oscar Frisbee Show, a variety program broadcast weekdays on Channel 13, then WAAM-TV, in the mid-1950s.
Born in Baltimore, Mr. Beres was a graduate of Holy Rosary School and the old Edison Vocational High School. He served in the Army in the late 1950s.
He was fond of doing carpentry and other work around his home and had coached in the youth baseball program of the Eastfield Recreation Council. In addition to belonging to the Musicians Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, he was a member of the Dundalk Lodge of the Moose.
Survivors include his wife, the former Sylvia M. Scurti; three sons, Eugene K. Beres of Dundalk, Steven M. Beres of Perry Hall and Rodney S. Beres of Pasadena; a brother, Eddie Beres of Dundalk; and a sister, Angela Wychryst of Rosedale.
Rev. Paul Genovese
Priest and professor
A Mass of Christian burial for the Rev. Paul F. Genovese, S.S., who taught, was a college official and did parish work, will be offered at 11 a.m. today at the Roman Catholic Shrine of the Little Flower, Belair Road and Brendan Avenue.
Father Genovese, 73, had lived on Windy Ridge with a sister since his retirement in 1975 because of ill health.
He died Monday at St. Joseph Hospital of complications from respiratory disease.
While living in retirement in Baltimore, he assisted when his health permitted at St. Jane Frances de Chantal Church in Riviera Beach.
Born in Baltimore, he was educated at St. Patrick's School, St. Charles College and St. Mary's Seminary.
Ordained in 1945, he taught at the college and seminary until 1948 when he became a member of the Society of St. Sulpice, the order that operates St. Mary's and other seminaries. He was then sent to Rome where he earned a doctorate in theology at the Angelicum University.
In 1949, he became a member of the first faculty of St. John's Provincial Seminary in Plymouth, Mich., where he taught theology and liturgy.
From 1959 until 1962, he taught at St. Mary's Seminary where he also served as academic dean.
In the 1960s, he also served at churches in Frederick and in Norbeck in Montgomery County. From 1965 until 1969, he was treasurer of the Theological College of Catholic University in Washington.
Survivors include three sisters, Anna Hulshart and Nettie Restivo, both of Baltimore, and Rose Dente of Catonsville; a brother, Edgar Genovese of Baltimore; and many nieces and nephews.