Stray bullets hit 2 people on front steps Mother, teen daughter hurt in West Baltimore.

July 30, 1992|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Staff Writer

A West Baltimore woman and her teen-age daughter early today became the latest victims of gunfire after a man decided to use bullets to settle differences with two other men.

City police said Bwanda Smith, 40, and her 14-year-old daughter were wounded about 12:20 a.m. while sitting on the front steps of their apartment building in the 3000 block of Normount Court near Gwynns Falls Park.

One man, armed with what appeared to be a 9mm semiautomatic handgun, appeared at one end of the block.

At the same time, at least two other men stepped out at the opposite end of the block. Neither appeared armed, police said.

Police said the gunman fired several shots at the other men.

Both Mrs. Smith and her daughter, whose name police declined to reveal, received shoulder wounds.

Police said the mother and daughter ran into their home and sought

safety in a room.

In the meantime, the gunman and the men he was firing at fled.

Police recovered several shell casings lying about the sidewalk. They appeared to come from a large-caliber handgun, police said.

Ms. Smith and her daughter were taken by ambulance to the Maryland Shock-Trauma Center, where they were listed in satisfactory condition.

Investigators said it appeared the shooting was the result of an ongoing dispute and did not involve drugs.

Meanwhile, in another city shooting, an eastern Baltimore County man was wounded in the back about 11 p.m. during an attempted robbery at a 24-hour teller machine in the 1100 block of N. Charles St.

Police said Daniel Blevins, 30, of the 7400 block of Gunpowder Road in Oliver Beach, was about to withdraw money from the teller machine when he was approached by a gunman who demanded his money.

Police said it was not clear what occurred next, but Mr. Blevins was shot twice, once in the lower back and again in the left arm.

Police said the gunman fled without taking any money.

Mr. Blevins was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he was listed in good condition today.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.