Man slain during drug disputeA 19-year-old man was slain...


July 28, 1992

Man slain during drug dispute

A 19-year-old man was slain last night during a drug dispute outside a Northeast Baltimore apartment building, police said.

Police officers responding to a report of gunshots found the victim, Timothy Snowden of the 2300 block of Odell Ave., about 10:30 p.m. on the front steps of the Hollander Ridge apartments in the 7200 block of Sauers Court.

Mr. Snowden had been shot in the abdomen and left shoulder. Police said they believe the shooting is drug-related.

A total of 184 people have been slain in the city this year, 24 more than this time last year, police said.


Maj. Melvin C. McQuay, the Baltimore police commissioner's top aide for the past eight years, has been chosen the department's deputy commissioner for the operations support bureau. He will replace Deputy Commissioner Ronald Mullen, who is retiring.

Major McQuay, a 31-year agency veteran, will assume command of the operations bureau, which includes the criminal investigation division detectives, on Friday.

Mr. Mullen, who ran the day-to-day operations of the department for more than a decade, is retiring to command the 40-member Johns Hopkins University police force. Before the deputy's departure, a departmental reorganization transferred authority for all patrol functions from Mr. Mullen to Deputy Commissioner Eugene Tanzymore.

As a result, the responsibility for the patrol division -- the bulk of the street force -- will remain with Mr. Tanzymore's patrol bureau. Major McQuay also will supervise the crime laboratory and several other bureaus.


A library warehouse that will store about 2 million books for seven Washington-area universities will be built at an industrial park south of Bowie, officials said yesterday.

Earlier this month, the consortium of schools considered building a scaled-down version of the warehouse at George Mason University in Fairfax County, Va., when the developer announced that he would not be able to build an access road to the original site.

Consortium officials -- representing George Mason, Marymount College, George Washington, American, Catholic and Gallaudet universities, and the University of the District of Columbia -- were in danger of losing a $6.7 million federal grant for the project if they did not move quickly.

But officials from Prince George's County and the consortium agreed yesterday to swap use of the original 20-acre parcel in the Collington Center industrial park, owned by the developer, for a smaller, county-owned parcel also in the industrial park.

Anne Arundel

A federal police guard assigned to the Naval Academy has been arrested on a drug charge in downtown Annapolis.

Sgt. Duane M. McMahon, 37, of Stevensville, told a police officer he was conducting a "personal investigation" into neighborhood drug trafficking when police allegedly found a bag of crack was on him, authorities said.

Sergeant McMahon was arrested shortly after 10 p.m. Sunday and charged with possession after being stopped near a low-income housing complex on Clay Street, police said. Naval Academy officials said they knew nothing about his "personal investigation."

Police went to the Clay Street area to check a report of a drunken driver. When they arrived, one patrol officer said he recognized the driver as Sergeant McMahon.

Several teen-agers leaned into the window of Sergeant McMahon's vehicle, causing police to become more suspicious, investigators said. The officers followed him to Northwest Street, where they stopped him.

Baltimore County

A former nurse's aide was sentenced to 18 months in jail yesterday for assaulting two severely disabled patients while she was drunk at a Catonsville nursing home.

Diane I. Jones, 26, of the 3000 block of Ascension St. in Baltimore, was convicted of two counts of battery and sentenced to a total of three years in prison.

Half of the woman's sentence was suspended by Baltimore County Circuit Judge Barbara Kerr Howe. Jones also was placed on two years' supervised probation on her release and forbidden to work with senior citizens or children.

The conviction is the latest in a crackdown on abuse of "vulnerable adults," said Maryland Attorney General J. Joseph Curran Jr.

About a dozen others have been convicted of similar crimes involving elderly people, Mr. Curran said.

He said Jones was working as a nurse's aide at the Forest Haven Nursing Home, in the 300 block of Ingleside Ave., when she reported to work drunk April 14, 1991, and assaulted two patients.

The next month, inspectors found 10 instances of deficient patient care at Forest Haven Nursing Home, including inadequate monitoring of serious medical conditions and lack of communication between nurses and doctors.

The 169-bed nursing home was decertified from Medicaid and Medicare programs 90 days later, but was readmitted in November, said Michael Golden, a spokesman for the state health department.


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.