Stealing spreeSYKESVILLE -- City police are investigating...

Police and fire scan

July 26, 1992

SYKESVILLE — Stealing spree

SYKESVILLE -- City police are investigating 10 auto break-ins -- eight in the same night -- that occurred within blocks of one another.

On the night of July 17-18, one car was tampered with and property was taken from seven vehicles, said Sykesville police officer Sgt. A. R. Griffin.

A Subaru station wagon parked in the 400 block of Kalorama was opened, but nothing was reported stolen. A CB radio, wrench and 10-piece ratchet set were stolen from a 1985 Ford pickup truck in the 700 block of Jennifer Way. Down the road in the 7300 block, a portable car phone was stolen from a 1991 Saturn, Sergeant Griffin said.

Two pickup trucks in the 7400 block of Second Ave. were burglarized. The thieves took an AM/FM radio, a 40-channel CB radio and a speaker box. Around the corner on the 7300 block of Oak St., a $1,500 AM/FM cassette radio was taken from a 1984 BMW.

Sergeant Griffin said a portable radio was taken from a garage in the 700 block of Obrecht Road. The owner also had left the trunk of the car open, and out of it were taken a set of golf clubs, golf bag and a pair of golf shoes.

From the back seat of a car parked in the 7500 block of Bareman Court, a nurse's bag filled with equipment -- including stethoscope, syringes and blood pressure cuff -- was taken. No drugs or medicines were in the bag, police said.

Two more pickup trucks were robbed over the night of July 20-21. Assorted power and cutting tools were taken from the flatbed of a truck in the 7300 block of Brown St. The items were worth $2,500. A Dodge truck in the 500 block of Oklahoma Road lost its AM/FM radio and speaker.

Sergeant Griffin said the majority of the vehicles were not locked.

"Sometimes people get comfortable in certain sections of town," he said, "[and] don't feel they have to be as careful."

He also believed the crimes were committed by the same people, or groups that know one another and have passed the word that the area is an easy target.

Police are continuing to investigate.

Fees for fingerprinting

As a result of legislation passed during the 1992 General Assembly, the Maryland State Police will be required to charge ++ fees for fingerprinting, police said. A $5 charge will be collected for each card (set of prints). The fees are effective immediately, police said.

All charges must be paid by check or money order. No cash will

be accepted.


Please report crime tips to these hot lines:857-TIPS (drugs)and (state police). All calls are confidential and you do not have to give your name.

Here is a compilation of some of the crimes reported to local and state police:


Uniontown Road: David Leader of Francis Scott Key Highway in Keymar reported on July 16 that someone threw a hard object and cracked the windshield of his vehicle, causing $115.50 in damage. The vehicle was at the intersection of Uniontown Road and Buck Cash Drive.

Railroad Avenue: Police arrested Randy Alan Weaver of Sycamore Avenue on July 17. He was charged with driving while intoxicated and possession of a controlled dangerous substance and paraphernalia.

East Main Street: Elizabeth Pryor of Maplegrove Road in Hampstead reported on July 17 that someone removed a $350 cellular phone from her car.

Cranberry Mall: Charles Stair of Hook Road reported on July 18 that someone broke out a rear window of his car, causing $150 in damage.

Charles Street: Florence H. Williams of Ohio reported on July 19 that someone scratched the driver's side front fender of her vehicle. Estimated damage is $200.

Baldwin Park Drive: Nicholas Ferrara of Babylon Road in Littlestown reported on July 22 that someone removed $80 worth of property from his parked car. Jamey Hooper also reported a theft from his parked car. Estimated loss was $300.

Here is a compilation of the fire and rescue calls to the Emergency Operations Center:

July 17

5:27 p.m., Pleasant Valley responded to a call about wires on fire on Murkle Road. The engine was out for 18 minutes.

8:20 p.m., Gamber stayed out 21 minutes on call to a home on Niner Road when a residential fire alarm sounded.

July 18

11:43 a.m., Manchester freed a child locked in a car on Michael Drive. The company was out for 21 minutes.

1:18 p.m., Westminster's engine was out for 14 minutes while investigating a call on Main Street.

3:08 p.m., Winfield and Lisbon from Howard County responded to a field fire on Woodbine Road. The Winfield company was out for 14 minutes.

3:43 p.m., Mount Airy responded to a field fire on Gillis Falls Road. The engine was out for 35 minutes.

8:19 p.m., Westminster investigated a call on Carroll Street. They were out for 10 minutes.

July 19

2:01 a.m., Pleasant Valley and Gamber responded to a fire alarm sounding on Baltimore Boulevard. The engines were out for 10 minutes.

3:12 a.m., Hampstead investigated a call on Black Rock Road. The engine was out for 15 minutes.

10:03 p.m., Westminster and Manchester responded to a house fire on Old Manchester Road. The engines were out for almost an hour.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.