BASEBALL American League * CHICAGO WHITE SOX -- Assigned Dan Pasqua, outfielder, to Birmingham of the Southern League on a rehabilitation assignment.
* CLEVELAND INDIANS -- Optioned Jeff Mutis, pitcher, to Colorado Springs of the Pacific Coast League. Purchased the contract of Rod Nichols, pitcher, from Colorado Springs.
* MINNESOTA TWINS -- Activated Mike Pagliarulo, third baseman, from the 15-day disabled list. Purchased the contract of Paul Abbott, pitcher, from Portland of the Pacific Coast League. Sent Gary Wayne, pitcher, and J.T. Bruett, outfielder, to Portland.
* TEXAS RANGERS -- Activated Danilo Leon, pitcher, from the 15-day disabled list. Sent Don Carman, pitcher, to Oklahoma City of the American Association.
National League * CHICAGO CUBS -- Signed Emilio Mendez, shortstop, to a minor-league contract.
* HOUSTON ASTROS -- Placed Luis Gonzalez, outfielder, on the 15-day disabled list. Recalled Chris Jones, outfielder, from Tucson of the Pacific Coast League.
* LOS ANGELES DODGERS -- Placed Darryl Strawberry, outfielder, on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to July 21.
National Football League * BUFFALO BILLS -- Signed Keith Goganious, linebacker; Frank Kmet, defensive lineman; Matt Darby and Kurt Schul, safeties; Nate Turner and Vince Marrow, tight ends; Leonard Humphries, cornerback; Chris Walsh and Barry Rose, wide receives; and Matt Rodgers, quarterback.
* CINCINNATI BENGALS -- Signed Chris Burns, defensive end.
* DALLAS COWBOYS -- Signed Garry Lewis, cornerback.
* DENVER BRONCOS -- Signed Tommy Maddox, quarterback, to a three-year contract, and Doug Widell, guard.
* DETROIT LIONS -- Signed Jeff Campbell, wide receiver; Toby Caston, linebacker; and Ben Mitchell, offensive guard.
* GREEN BAY PACKERS -- Signed Robert Brooks, wide receiver, and Edgar Bennett, running back. Agreed to terms with Jerry Holmes, cornerback.
* HOUSTON OILERS -- Signed Mario Bailey, wide receiver.
* INDIANAPOIS COLTS -- Signed Ronald Humphrey, running back.
* KANSAS CITY CHIEFS -- Signed Pete Shorts, offensive tackle. Released Kevin Allen, tackle.
* MINNESOTA VIKINGS -- Released Joey Browner, safety.
* NEW YORK GIANTS -- Signed Bart Oates, center, to a three-year contract.
* PHILADELPHIA EAGLES -- Signed Cecil Gray, offensive lineman, to a one-year contract.
* SAN DIEGO CHARGERS -- Agreed to terms with Leslie O'Neal, defensive end; and Henry Rolling, linebacker; on one-year contracts, and Courtney Hall, center, on a two-year contract.
National Hockey League * DETROIT RED WINGS -- Signed Dimitri Motkov, defenseman, to multiyear contract.
* NEW YORK RANGERS -- Signed Darcy Werenka, defenseman.
* TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING -- Signed Jean Blouin, Chris Kontos, and John Tucker, forwards.
International Hockey League O=
* SAN DIEGO GULLS -- Signed Peter Hankinson, right wing.
* World Cup USA -- Named Bill Stroube venue executive director for Dallas and the World Cup games at the Cotton Bowl.
* INTERNATIONAL VOLLEYBALL FEDERATION -- Announced that Ruben Acosta, president, was unanimously re-elected for a third four-year term.
* BIG WEST CONFERENCE -- Named Dennis Farrell commissioner.
* BROCKPORT STATE -- Announced the resignation of Bill Sutherland, offensive football coordinator. Named Tom Woodruff offensive football coordinator.