Laser equipment stolenWESTMINSTER --A 25-year-old...

Court docket

July 22, 1992

WESTMINSTER — Laser equipment stolen

WESTMINSTER --A 25-year-old Baltimore man who was trying to sell $18,000 worth of laser beam alignment equipment to a Finksburg construction company was found guilty of felony theft Monday.

Artie Oran Robinson, already serving 18 months in state prison for unrelated traffic and drug charges, was found guilty of the single charge of theft over $300 and sentenced to two additional years in state prison.

According to court records, owners of Beck Enterprises contacted state police after Ron Alston, a former company employee, offered in August to sell the company two laser beam aligners for $250 each.

Company owners became suspicious because such equipment usually costs about $9,000 each.

Mr. Alston told Beck Enterprises to call back and ask for him or Robinson. After an undercover state trooper bought the equipment, Mr. Alston and Robinson were arrested.

Court records show the equipment was stolen Aug. 9 from Encon Inc. of Baltimore.

Robinson told the jury of six men and six women that he didn't know the equipment was stolen at the time of the sale.

Mr. Alston, who faces a charge of theft over $300, failed to appear for trial last month. A bench warrant for his arrest was issued.

Father found guilty


WESTMINSTER -- A 33-year-old city man who said he "overdid it" when he "booted" his 5-year-old son down two concrete steps was found guilty of one count of battery and placed on three years' probation.

Byron Truax pleaded not guilty to the single charge, but allowed only the police report to be entered into evidence. Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. found him guilty and imposed a suspended three-year sentence in addition to the probation.

As a result of a plea bargain, prosecutors dropped an abuse charge lodged against Truax.

Testimony showed that in March, Truax was upset with his son's no longer being allowed to ride the bus to his pre-school because of "disciplinary problems" with other children. In a fit of anger, the man kicked his son.

The boy sustained injuries to his back, throat and neck.

"Mr. Truax was frustrated with [his son's] inability to conform," said Barbara Kreinar, his public defender.

The man said he didn't fully realize what he was doing.

"I forgot there was a two-step drop," he told Judge Burns after he was found guilty. "I overdid it, I didn't realize what I was doing."

Court testimony showed that Truax had been granted custody of the boy in January. The child is now in foster care.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.