Man playing basketball is shot deadA 31-year-old man was...


July 20, 1992

Man playing basketball is shot dead

A 31-year-old man was shot dead as he played basketball at Patterson Park Avenue and Hoffman Street late last night.

The victim was identified as Terrence Covington of the 1400 block of N. Collington Ave.

Homicide Detective Mike Crutchfield said Mr. Covington was playing in a basketball game at 11:15 p.m. when a man came up behind him, took a shotgun from a gym bag and fired twice, hitting him in the back. Mr. Covington was taken to the Maryland Shock-Trauma Center, where he was pronounced dead at 11:50 p.m.

Detective Crutchfield said a number of people were at courtside when the shooting occurred, but he said no witnesses have come forward to identify a suspect. He said detectives were seeking a motive for the shooting.


More than 1 million people attended the three-day Artscape '92, a festival of arts, music and crafts that ended last night.

Linda L. Blume, a spokeswoman for the 10th annual Artscape, said the figure was a record, topping last year's attendance, which approached 1 million.


A 19-year-old North Carolina man was shot and killed late Saturday during an argument in a bar in Somerset County.

The shooting occurred about 11 p.m. at Violet's Bar, on Md. 667 in Marion. Several men became involved in a dispute during which one pulled a gun and fired one shot at the victim, Marcos Morales, state police said.

Mr. Morales, of Spring Lake, N.C., was taken to Peninsula Medical Center in Salisbury, where he was pronounced dead.

Anne Arundel

An Anne Arundel County police officer shot a man who police said threatened to kill officers investigating a report that he had threatened his father with a butcher knife.

Five police officers arrived at the 300 block of Forest Beach Road, and saw James Daniel Johnson Jr., 29, chasing his father with a 12-inch butcher knife in the yard at 3:30 p.m., said Capt. Michael Fitzgibbons.

The father was defending himself with a shovel before police arrived, police said.

Captain Fitzgibbons said Mr. Johnson ignored the officers' order to drop the knife and stood under a tree at the side of the yard. For several minutes, the officers tried to persuade Mr. Johnson to put the knife down. He refused, allegedly telling the officers that if they did not leave, he would attack them.

One of the officers fired one shot, hitting Mr. Johnson in the right hip.

When Mr. Johnson is released from Anne Arundel Medical Center, he faces charges of assault with intent to murder.

The identity of the police officer was being withheld.


A 13-year-old Baltimore girl told Anne Arundel County police she was raped Friday night by a man who picked her up in Cherry Hill, took her to a county apartment, and drove her back to Cherry Hill after the assault.


After eight years of legal battle to the Supreme Court and back again, the Woodbine Gliderport has won the right to continue operating.

In a decision Thursday, county Circuit Judge Raymond E. Beck Sr. agreed that the zoning board was arbitrary and capricious in its last decision not to grant a conditional-use permit, ordering the panel to issue an approval within 45 days.

The grass airstrip occupies 10 acres of land on Robert E. Harrison's 172-acre farm off Gillis Falls Road. It has been operating as an airport since 1972 when the board of zoning appeals granted a conditional-use permit for the property.

After neighbor complaints of noise and unsafe conditions prompted the board to revoke that permit and issue another with several conditions, including regulating the time and frequency of flights, airstrip owners Mr. Harrison and Gerry Gaudet appealed the decision through the state courts.

The Maryland Court of Appeals finally decided that county agencies could not regulate privately owned airports, since that is a function of the Federal Aviation Administration.

The U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear the case, sending it back to the zoning board, where members rejected the permit in May 1991.

Mr. Harrison and Mr. Gaudet then appealed to the Circuit Court, maintaining that the decision was arbitrary since it was based on the same set of facts used to grant the 1984 permit.


A Manchester teen-ager convicted of lying to state police investigators that she had witnessed a trooper using cocaine has received a sentence of three years of supervised probation.

Circuit Judge Francis M. Arnold suspended a 90-day jail term for Stacy Lee Gardner, 19. She was convicted June 2 after pleading not guilty but allowing only the state's version of the facts to be entered into evidence.

She had presented a tape-recorded statement to officers in the Maryland State Police Internal Affairs Unit saying that on Dec. 7, 1991, Tfc. Douglas Reitz of the Westminster barracks had taken her to Baltimore to buy cocaine.

Trooper Reitz was cleared of the charges after state police investigated the home and found Gardner's descriptions to be inaccurate.


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.