Sentences upheldWESTMINSTER -- Two brothers, convicted in...

Court docket

July 19, 1992


WESTMINSTER -- Two brothers, convicted in September in an armed robbery that left a former Main Street woman blind in one eye were told by Circuit Judge Francis M. Arnold that the sentences they are serving weren't going to be shortened by him.

In denying sentence reduction requests by Tom Anderson, 40, who is serving 10 years in state prison, and Ted Anderson, 54, now serving 17 years behind bars, Judge Arnold said he now regrets agreeing to the "lenient" sentences.

"The more the court has reviewed this criminal file and this particular act, the more the court regrets agreeing to a cap of 15 years on your sentence," Judge Arnold said to Ted Anderson.

The brothers' sentence modification hearings were held back-to-back Thursday morning.

The additional two years tacked onto Ted Anderson's sentence comes from a violation of probation.

That violation was a result of his conviction in the armed robbery.

Both men were convicted of robbery with a deadly weapon by Judge Arnold after the two entered into plea agreements.

Tom Anderson pleaded not guilty to the charge and Ted Anderson entered an Alford plea.

In an Alford plea, the defendant acknowledges that the state has enough evidence to convict him of the crime, but does not admit guilt.

In both cases, the only evidence presented were the prosecutors' statement of facts. Prosecutors agreed to drop other charges against the men, and agreed to argue for sentences no longer than the ones that were eventually imposed.

The charges against the two men stemmed from an attack on then-60-year-old Eda Baker Stewart at her former home on East Main Street.

Tom Anderson was living there and dating Stewart's daughter at the time.

Mrs. Stewart required four days of hospitalization as a result of the attack by the brothers. She has since moved to be with her son in New Jersey.

Mrs. Stewart was in the courtroom Thursday for the sentence modification requests. She did not testify.

WESTMINSTER -- A former sheriff's deputy who fired without cause in March after 19 years on the job has appealed his dismissal in Circuit Court.

Paul F. Nolte already had his firing reviewed by an internal grievance review panel in June. That panel upheld Sheriff John H. Brown's decision to dismiss Mr. Nolte.

"The board in its recommendations admitted that the dismissal was not for cause but recommended dismissal anyway," said a suit filed Thursday in Carroll Circuit Court.

Mr. Nolte is appealing the grievance panel's findings and is seeking reinstatement and back wages.


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.