Hats off to the young people of St. Philip Neri Parish who recently received awards, degrees and scholarships.
* Christina McMunn, who graduated from Anne Arundel Community College with an associate's degree in elementary education.
* Andrew Lotz, a graduate of St. Philip Neri, for being salutatorian of North County High School and for being awarded a Maryland State Distinguished Scholar Scholarship to the University of Maryland at College Park.
* Richard Bennett, who graduated with honors from St. John's University in New York. He was nominated for Honors Society for Theology and was one of three students nominated for Golden Key Award. Richard is studying for the priesthood.
These St. Philip Neri School graduates and recent Mount St. Joseph High School graduates have received honors and awards:
* James Bruggy -- Presidential Scholarship to Loyola College and a Maryland General State Scholarship.
* Mukund Krishnaswami -- American Legion finalist, National Merit Scholarship Program finalist, Maryland Distinguished Scholars finalist, Maryland State General Scholarship, Scholarship to Pennsylvania University, American Legion National High School Oratorial Contest Scholar, The Charles M. Connor Sr. Award for Excellence in Computer Science, The John S. Connor Award for General Excellence.
* Lawrence Koenig -- a scholarship to Capitol College.
* Gary W. Floyd II -- appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy.
* Mark D. Leach -- Seton Hall Chancellor's Honors Scholarship and Senatorial Scholarship.
* Michael T. O'Malley -- Maryland Distinguished Scholars (semifinalist).
* Gregory Yakaitis -- Army ROTC Scholarships to the University of Tampa, Xavier University, Western Maryland College and the University of Miami. He also received the Brother Theodore James Ryken Award for Excellence in Religious Studies.
The swinging sound of the Crabtown Big Band will be heard in Linthicum Park Sunday.
The concert, one of six in the Summer Concert Series sponsored by the Woman's Club of Linthicum Heights, will begin at 6 p.m.
Pack a picnic supper and bring blankets or lawn chairs for seating. Admission is free, and there is plenty of parking in the park and in the adjacent school parking lot. In the event of rain, the concert will be canceled.
Linthicum Park is on Benton Avenue, off Camp Meade Road (Route 170).
Information: 859-3308 or 789-7546.
Noontime entertainment continues each Wednesday during the summer at Airport Square Park. Employees and community residents are invited from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. tomorrow, to enjoy the music of Regency, a five-member a capella group.
Next Wednesday's concert will feature singer Mickey Light performing "The Sounds of Sinatra."
Bring your lunch and seating. Airport Square Park is off Elkridge Landing Road.
Patapsco Valley American Association of Retired Persons Chapter 3850 will have an executive committee meeting at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. Christopher's Church Hall.
The general meeting for the chapter will take place July 22 at St. Christopher's Hall.
A social hour with refreshments begins at noon, followed by the program at 12:45 p.m. and the business meeting at 1:30.
Guest speaker Bruce Lowman, legislative chairman of AARP, will discuss health care.
For information, call George Surgeon at 761-3667.
The North County High School guidance office will be open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily all summer.
This is an excellent time for students and their parents to visit the school and gain valuable information about courses needed for graduation, college admission requirements, career planning, scholarship and financial aid and developing study skills and test-taking skills.
The Careers Center will be open and available for use by students who are doing college searches, SAT prep study skills and career development.
* Note on your calendar: A meeting for parents of seniors about college and career planning will be at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 20, at the high school.
An orientation program for incoming 10th-graders and their parents will be conducted at 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 27, in the cafeteria. New students also are asked to attend.
For more information, please call the school office at 859-5400.
Fall registrations for children ages 2 through 6 are being accepted for the Ferndale Day Nursery.
All day care, as well as morning care (8:30 to 11:30 a.m.) is available.
The nursery is at 102 Cromwell Ave., Ferndale.
Time once again to catch up with the Ferndale-Linthicum Senior Center Roadrunners.
Tomorrow they will be traveling to Down's Park for a picnic. Limited seating is available on the
bus. The tour leaves promptly at 11 a.m. from the center, at 7205 Baltimore & Annapolis Blvd.
Members and associates are invited and may bring snacks to share. Food and drinks will be provided. Those driving to the park on their own should meet at the Brightwater Pavilion.