1 slain, 7 hurt in 2 shootings this morning

July 13, 1992|By Roger Twigg | Roger Twigg,Staff Writer

One man was slain and 7 people were wounded during two unrelated shootings in the city early today.

One shooting, in which five people were wounded, was outside Odell's, a North avenue nightclub that recently had court-ordered sanctions placed on it because of a spate of shootings, police said.

The slaying brings to 173 the number of people slain this year in Baltimore, 21 more than last year.

The number of killings so far this year is increasing at a pace that threatens to eclipse the previous record of 330 killings set in 1972. There were 304 slayings last year, one fewer than 1990 when the city experienced the most homicides in two decades.

The latest victim is an unidentified man in his 20s who was found dead just after 3 a.m. when officers responded to a report of a shooting in the 2400 block of Reisterstown Road, police said. He had been shot several times in the back and legs.

Jeffrey Williams, 18, of the 3700 block of Reisterstown Road, and Leon Mitchell, 46, of the 2800 block of Winchester St., were wounded in the same incident, police said.

Mr. Williams was in serious condition with gunshot wounds to his buttocks at University of Maryland Medical Center.

Mr. Mitchell was treated at Johns Hopkins Hospital for a wound to the jaw and released.

Homicide detectives said they won't know what happened until they interview the wounded victims later today. They said they have no motive and no suspects.

The other shooting occurred just after 2 a.m. as about 450 young people were leaving Odell's nightclub in the first block of E. North Ave., said Lt. Deal G. Allen, of the Central Police District.

Police said a young man pulled a handgun and started shooting into the crowd after someone bumped him.

"Luckily, no one was killed," Lieutenant Allen said.

Four of the victims were shot in the legs, the fifth in the arm.

Anthony Long, 16, Overton Taylor, 20, and Michael Bowers, 18, were taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital while William Yates, 18, and Robert Kelly, 17, were taken Union Memorial Hospital, police said.

A Hopkins spokeswoman said Mr. Bowers was treated and released; Mr. Taylor was expected to be released later today and the Long youth was being evaluated.

Police were seeking a teen-ager last seen wearing dungaree shorts and a sleeveless T-shirt.

City officials recently took the owners of the club to court to force them to better control their patrons.

Today's shooting is the latest in a series of incidents to occur there.

A Circuit Court judge last month required the owners of the club to provide better security and to close earlier on certain nights.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.