Probation for DWIWESTMINSTER -- A 41-year-old Taneytown...

Court docket

July 12, 1992


WESTMINSTER -- A 41-year-old Taneytown man who drove away from the scene of an accident that sent an eight-months pregnant woman to the hospital was convicted of drunken driving but given the chance to erase the conviction from his record.

Albert J. Rill was given probation before judgment Wednesday by Circuit Judge Raymond E. Beck Sr. The probation is to last three years and will be supervised by the county's Drinking Driver Monitoring Program.

"This is a real borderline case," Judge Beck said as he announced his sentence. "You usually get the benefit of the doubt in a first offense if there are no aggravating circumstances. But I've got to tell you, these circumstances are aggravating."

On the afternoon of Sept. 7, Mr. Rill was driving his blue Ford pickup along Main Street when he was involved in an accident at the intersection of Main Street and Manchester Avenue. His car collided with a 1975 Chevy Nova driven by Paula Haines. Ms. Haines was able to walk away from the accident and was able to recall the license plate number on Mr. Rill's truck. She was later taken to Carroll County General Hospital, where she was treated and released.

City Police found Mr. Rill's truck parked halfway into a driveway on South George Street. He and a passenger were asleep in the VTC back of the truck. When awakened, Mr. Rill was asked to perform several sobriety tests.

Mr. Rill pleaded not guilty to the DWI charge in exchange for allowing only the state's version of the facts to be presented as evidence. Three other traffic charges were dropped as a result of the plea.

Fleeing the scene of an accident was not among the charges lodged against Mr. Rill.

"When the police got to you, you could barely stand up," the judge said. "I find it hard to believe you weren't charged with [leaving the scene.] I'll give you the benefits of probation. But if I see you again in here, you're going to face some incarceration."

WESTMINSTER -- Saying a 16-year-old boy who terrorized a city family needed to learn his conduct can't be tolerated in a civilized society, Judge Raymond E. Beck Sr. on Wednesday sentenced the boy to eight years in state prison.

And while he immediately suspended seven years of the sentence, he said it was important to let Brian Myers know that, had he been older, he would be spending time in the Department of Corrections.

Myers, who was charged as an adult, originally faced nine criminal charges, including attempted murder. In a plea agreement, he pleaded guilty to armed robbery and the remaining charges were dropped.

What caught the attention of Judge Beck was the fact that Myers and another boy dressed in warrior-type costumes when they held the family of Arthur and Janis Lockard at gunpoint in their home last July.

They stole the family's car and led police on a high-speed chase. The second youth was charged as a juvenile with armed robbery and burglary.

A state police cruiser was rammed by a stolen car driven by Myers, court records show. The officer and Myers both required treatment for minor injuries.

Myers will serve his year-long sentence at the Carroll County Detention Center. He also was ordered to pay $4,600 in restitution, but that figure is being disputed by the boy's attorneys.


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.