3 men slain in city shootings no arrests made Two of the deaths appear to be drug-related, police say.

July 10, 1992|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Staff Writer

Three men were shot to death early today and yesterday in separate incidents. Police said two of the homicides appear to have been drug-related.

No arrests have been made, police said.

The latest homicide occurred around 12:05 a.m. this morning in the 4800 block of Palmer Ave. in Pimlico.

The victim, James Thomas, 21, of the 1100 block of Argyle Ave., may have been lured to his death by someone breaking into his late-model Acura and setting off the alarm, police said.

Homicide detective Martin Disney said Mr. Thomas was inside a house in the 4800 block of Palmer Ave. around midnight when his car's alarm went off.

Moments later, several shots rang out.

When police and paramedics arrived a few minutes later, they found the mortally wounded Thomas sitting behind the wheel of his car bleeding from a gunshot wound to the left side.

While medics attempted to revive the unconscious man, he died.

Detective Disney said the victim was known to have trafficked in drugs and that drug-related evidence was found at the scene.

At 11:30 p.m. yesterday, Western District police responding to the sound of gunshots found the body of a man in the 800 block of N. Calhoun St.

bTC The victim, Russell Simmons, 41, of the 2400 block of W. Lafayette St., had bullet wounds in his back and side, said homicide detective Rick James.

Detective James said Mr. Simmons was identified at the scene by papers in his wallet and his three sisters who heard their brother had been shot and arrived a short time later.

Shortly after 5 p.m. yesterday, the body of DeWayne Branford, 24, of the 4400 block of Pen Lucy Road, was found in the vestibule of a house in the 1900 block of Harlem Ave.

The slaying appeared to be drug-related, said Homicide Detective Donald Waltemeyer.

Western District police said Mr. Branford was seen talking to two men around 5:15 p.m. when he suddenly started to run away.

One of the men pulled a handgun and fired several shots at him.

Police said as one shot struck the man in the right side of the back and exited his chest.

Police said Mr. Branford died about 6 p.m. at the Maryland Shock-Trauma Center.

Police investigating the homicide found several plastic packets containing suspected cocaine near where Mr. Branford was talking to the two men before he was shot.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.