E. Scott Moore, an attorney who once held posts asBaltimore County solicitor, chairman of the Maryland Hospital Association and president of the company that insured Maryland savings and loan association accounts, died Monday at Franklin Square Hospital after a heart attack at his home.
He was 66 and lived on Cedar Lane in Kingsville.
Services for Mr. Moore were being held today at the Camp Chapel United Methodist Church, 5000 E. Joppa Road in Perry Hall.
He was senior partner in the law firm of Moore, Carney, Ryan and Lattanzi in Perry Hall with which he had been associated during most of the 40 years he practiced law.
He was counsel to Baltimore County Savings Bank, Hamilton Federal Savings and Loan Association and Northfield Federal Savings.
Mr. Moore was chairman of the Maryland Hospital Association from 1982 until 1985, and in the 1970s had served on the board and as president of the Maryland Savings-Share Insurance Corp., a private insurer of the state-chartered savings and loans that was taken over by the state in 1985.
At his death, he was chairman of the board of Helix Health System, which includes Franklin Square and Union Memorial hospitals. He had served on the board of Franklin Square since 1968 and had been president from 1974 until 1978.
Long active in Republican politics in Baltimore County, he was a candidate for state's attorney in 1954, for the state Senate in 1958 and for county executive in 1966.
Mr. Moore had been a trial magistrate in Kingsville from 1954 until 1957 and was the minority member of the Board of Supervisors of Elections in 1961 and 1962.
In 1962, he was named county solicitor, a post held until 1966 when Spiro T. Agnew moved from the county executive's office to the governor's office. His campaign to succeed Mr. Agnew was unsuccessful.
He also served as vice president of the Maryland State Bar Association, as a member of its board of governors, and as a member of the state's Appellate Court Judicial Selection Commission.
Mr. Moore belonged to the county and American bar associations, the Dissenters Law Club and the Association of Trial Lawyers of America.
President of the board of trustees of the Camp Chapel United Methodist Church, he was a delegate to the Baltimore Annual Conference of the Untied Methodist Church.
Mr. Moore belonged to the Kiwanis Club of Parkville, the Baltimore County Historical Society and the Maryland Historical Society.
Born in Fullerton, he was a graduate of Kenwood High School, the University of Maryland at College Park and the University of Maryland Law School.
He served in the Army at the end of World War II.
In 1949, Mr. Moore pitched and played outfield for a semi-professional baseball team in Hickory, Md., that won the Susquehanna League championship but lost the All American Baseball Championship played in Washington.
As a young man, he also played on amateur basketball teams in Baltimore, and Baltimore and Harford counties.
Survivors include his wife, the former Gladys Ely; a brother, Ormsby S. Moore of Perry Hall; a sister, Marjorie B. Anderson of Easton, Ohio, and Palmetto, Fla.; 10 nieces; and six nephews.