E. Scott MooreAttorneyServices for E. Scott Moore, an...


July 09, 1992

E. Scott Moore


Services for E. Scott Moore, an attorney who once held posts as Baltimore County solicitor, chairman of the Maryland Hospital Association and president of the company that insured Maryland savings and loan association accounts, will be held at 10:15 a.m. today at the Camp Chapel United Methodist Church, 5000 E. Joppa Road in Perry Hall.

Mr. Moore, 66, of Cedar Lane in Kingsville, died Monday at Franklin Square Hospital after a heart attack at his home.

He was senior partner in the law firm of Moore, Carney, Ryan and Lattanzi in Perry Hall with which he had been associated during most of the 40 years he practiced law.

He was counsel to Baltimore County Savings Bank, Hamilton Federal Savings and Loan Association and Northfield Federal Savings.

Mr. Moore was chairman of the Maryland Hospital Association from 1982 until 1985, and in the 1970s had served on the board and as president of the Maryland Savings-Share Insurance Corp., a private insurer of the state-chartered savings and loans that was taken over by the state in 1985.

At his death, he was chairman of the board of Helix Health System, which includes Franklin Square and Union Memorial hospitals. He had served on the board of Franklin Square since 1968 and had been president from 1974 until 1978.

Long active in Republican politics in Baltimore County, he was a candidate for state's attorney in 1954, for the state Senate in 1958 and for county executive in 1966.

Mr. Moore had been a trial magistrate in Kingsville from 1954 until 1957 and was the minority member of the Board of Supervisors of Elections in 1961 and 1962.

In 1962, he was named county solicitor, a post held until 1966 when Spiro T. Agnew moved from the county executive's office to the governor's office. His campaign to succeed Mr. Agnew was unsuccessful.

He also served as vice president of the Maryland State Bar Association, as a member of its board of governors, and as a member of the state's Appellate Court Judicial Selection Commission.

Mr. Moore belonged to the county and American bar associations, the Dissenters Law Club and the Association of Trial Lawyers of America.

President of the board of trustees of the Camp Chapel United Methodist Church, he was a delegate to the Baltimore Annual Conference of the Untied Methodist Church.

Mr. Moore belonged to the Kiwanis Club of Parkville, the Baltimore County Historical Society and the Maryland Historical Society.

Born in Fullerton, he was a graduate of Kenwood High School, the University of Maryland at College Park and the University of Maryland law school.

He served in the Army at the end of World War II.

In 1949, Mr. Moore pitched and played outfield for a semi-professional baseball team in Hickory, Md., that won the Susquehanna League championship but lost the All American Baseball Championship played in Washington.

As a young man, he also played on amateur basketball teams in Baltimore, and Baltimore and Harford counties.

Survivors include his wife, the former Gladys Ely; a brother, Ormsby S. Moore of Perry Hall; a sister, Marjorie B. Anderson of Easton, Ohio, and Palmetto, Fla.; 10 nieces; and six nephews.

Services for William Raymond "Mike" Kirk, a machinist who often took the needy into his home and gave them food and clothing, will be held at 10 a.m. today, at Loring Byers Chapel, 8728 Liberty Road in Randallstown.

Mr. Kirk died Friday of cancer at his Rockdale home. He was 80.

"My father lived a principle of doing for others," said his daughter, Anne Waggoner of Fort Washington. "Over the years, he had taken into his home so many people, often strangers, who needed food, clothing and help. In the 1950s for several months, he housed a family of 13 from the Philippines that his nephew, John William Kirk, had helped to bring here."

Mr. Kirk and his wife, the former Anna "Peggy" Myers, built the Rockdale home two years after they married in 1940. They lived in the home for 50 years.

Born in Hebbville, Mr. Kirk attended school in Randallstown and in his late teens began a career with the Franklin Balmar Corp., a machinery company in Woodberry that supplied parts for military equipment. He retired in 1968. The firm closed about 20 years ago.

After retirement, he kept a large vegetable garden where he raised produce to give to neighbors, friends and family.

In 1990, Mr. and Mrs. Kirk renewed their wedding vows at a surprise 50th anniversary celebration given by his sister and brother-in-law, Grace and Milton Tegler of Hagerstown.

In August, more than 100 family and friends surprised Mr. Kirk on his 80th birthday with a party.

Sitting on his porch afterward and knowing the seriousness of his illness, he thanked his wife and daughter, Mrs. Waggoner said.

"Not many are lucky enough to enjoy their own funeral," Mr. Kirk told them.

Besides his wife, daughter and sister and brother-in-law, survivors include another sister, Ethel G. Liebno of Rockdale; a brother, R. Donald Kirk of Rockdale; two granddaughters; and numerous nieces and nephews.

Memorial donations may be sent to the American Cancer Society.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.