Another child wounded by a stray bullet Boy, 2, is the 18th under 15 shot in city this year.

July 07, 1992|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Staff Writer Staff Writer Joe Nawrozki contributed to this story.

A 2-year-old boy was shot in the wrist after gunmen began shooting at each other last night on an East Baltimore street.

The victim, Michael Gordon, of the 900 block of N. Collington Ave., was shot in the left wrist.

Michael was listed in good and stable condition today in the Children's Center of Johns Hopkins Hospital. Carolyn Conway, a hospital spokeswoman, said the child probably will be discharged tomorrow.

Eighteen city children under the age of 15 have been wounded so far this year. Two of them were shot to death. They were Antwan Stewart, 13, of the 3500 block of Holmes Ave., slain June 20 during a drug-related incident in the 2300 block of Whittier Ave., and Andre Antonio Dorsey, 3, of the 900 block of E. Biddle St., killed outside his home by a stray bullet on June 24.

City police Sgt. George Colvin, of the Eastern District, said bloodstains found in the doorway of a house in the 800 block of N. Collington Ave. are thought to be those of one of the gunmen.

Sergeant Colvin said police are seeking three men known as "Parrish," "Ernie" and "Danny" in the shoot-out, which is believed to be drug-related.

Sergeant Colvin said one man standing in the doorway of 843 N. Collington Ave. fired at three other men down the street around 8:30 p.m.

At least two of the three men returned fire, the sergeant said.

In a matter of seconds, at least 30 bullets were fired from three different caliber handguns.

One bullet, believed to be .22 caliber, struck Michael.

The child was in the arms of his mother, Lesha Gardner, 22, when the gunfire erupted in the block south of her house. Mrs. Gardner was hurrying into her house and had nearly made it to safety when the child was wounded, the sergeant said.

The mother told police she saw her son bleeding and first thought it was from the force she used to push him out of the line of fire.

Moments later, the mother told police, she realized her child had been shot when she saw a hole in his wrist made by the bullet.

When the gunfire ended, three men escaped together by running through a house.

The other gunman, the one who stood in the doorway of 843 N. Collington Ave., also escaped.

He left behind bloodstains and a doorway shattered by bullets.

Shell casings from three semi-automatic handguns, a .45 caliber, a 9mm and a .22 caliber, were found.

Charles Dingle, of 909 N. Collington Ave., told police he was about to get into his car, which was parked in the 800 block of N. Collington Ave., when he heard gunshots.

Mr. Dingle then retreated into his house. Later, he found at least two bullet holes in his 1965 Plymouth.

"Had he walked a few more feet towards his car, we would have had another casualty," said Sergeant Colvin.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.