Littleton Tanner Jr.Baltimore steel workerLittleton "Tom...


July 04, 1992

Littleton Tanner Jr.

Baltimore steel worker

Littleton "Tom" Tanner Jr., a steel worker in Baltimore for more than 40 years, died of cardiac arrest June 25 at the Community Memorial Hospital Center in South Hill, Va.

The Baltimore resident, who had a summer home in Virginia, was 65.

He grew up in Mecklenburg County, W.Va. Raised by his grandparents, he attended Mecklenburg County public schools.

In the early 1940s, Mr. Tanner became a steel worker at the United Steel Co. in Pittsburgh, Pa. He moved to Baltimore in 1948 and worked at Bethlehem Steel Corp. until his retirement in 1989.

He served in the Army during the Korean War.

An avid gardener, he also enjoyed hunting and fishing. He served as vice president and business manager of the Darley Park Neighborhood Association.

He was a Master Mason in Mount Sinai Lodge 63, and was recently appointed to the Eastern District Police Community Relations Council.

Mr. Tanner was a grandparent-volunteer at Harford Heights Elementary School, which his grandsons, Carl Jr. ("CJ") and Brandon, attended.

In addition to his grandsons, survivors include his wife, the former Irene Brown; a daughter, Iris Tanner of Baltimore; three sons, Raymond Harris, Curtis Tanner and Carl Tanner Sr., all of Baltimore; four sisters, Beatrice Morgan of Brooklyn, N.Y., Mattie O'Neal and Mabel Belle, both of Duquesne, Pa., and Elizabeth Wilson of Herminie, Pa.; and a brother, George Tanner of El Paso, Texas.

Services were held Tuesday at Southern Baptist Church in Baltimore. Services for Shirley King, owner of a Northwest Baltimore moving firm, will be held at 7 p.m. Monday at Morning Star Baptist Church, 1063 W. Fayette St.

Mr. King, who was 91, died of pneumonia Wednesday at UnioMemorial Hospital.

A native of Virginia, Mr. King established the Aaron Movers Co. i1931, after working 15 years in the metal fabrication shop at Bethlehem Steel Corp. Mr. King began his moving business in a warehouse on Pierce Street in West Baltimore.

When the warehouse was torn down to make way for road construction in the late 1960s, Mr. King moved the business to the Gwynn Oak section, where he also lived. A one-truck operation that employed five people, the Aaron Movers Co. helped relocate business executives to new suburban homes in the Green Spring and Dulaney valleys.

When he took ill in 1989, Mr. King retired and closed the business.

He was an active member of Morning Star Baptist Church and a deacon for many years.

He had attended public schools in Prince George County, Va., and in Baltimore. He was a graduate of the International Correspondence Business School.

He is survived by his wife, the former Celestine Moore; a son, Cureton King of San Diego; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.