Quention B. ThomasRetired teacherServices for Quention B...


July 01, 1992

Quention B. Thomas

Retired teacher

Services for Quention B. Thomas, who taught in the Baltimore public school system for 26 years, will be held at 6 p.m. today at March Funeral Home, 1101 E. North Ave.

Mr. Thomas, who was 54 and lived on The Alameda, died of heart failure Monday at Union Memorial Hospital.

Born and educated in Winston-Salem, N.C., he graduated from Winston-Salem State University in 1961. He received a master's degree in education in 1975 from what is now Towson State University.

Most of his teaching career was spent at Rosemont Elementary School in West Baltimore, where he taught mathematics. He retired in 1991.

From 1961 to 1964, he had been a personnel specialist in the Army stationed at Fort Benning, Ga.

Mr. Thomas was a member of American Legion Post 297. He enjoyed growing and tending plants at his home.

Survivors include a son, Reginal High of Mattapan, Mass.; a sister, Felicidoll Mattison of Baltimore; four brothers, James F. Thomas of Bladensburg and Alfonso L., Henry A. and Walter L. Thomas, all of Baltimore; and four grandchildren.

James Morrison Sr.

Master plumber

Graveside services for James C. Morrison Sr., a retired master plumber, will be held at 2 p.m. today at Moreland Memorial Park, 2901 Taylor Ave.

Mr. Morrison died Sunday at Sinai Hospital of a perforated ulcer. He was 85.

He had lived for 42 years in Ridgeleigh, a community near Baynesville. Since September, he had been a resident of the Pikesville Nursing and Convalescent Center.

Born in Scottsburg, Ind., he moved to Baltimore in 1945 when he married the former Mildred Gabrielle Baer of Baltimore. She died in 1982.

During World War II he served with the Army Engineers in Europe, and he participated in the Battle of the Bulge. He was noted for his skill in defusing land mines and booby traps. A proud moment, according to his son, was when he disabled a land mine as Maj. Gen. George S. Patton Jr. watched.

After Mr. Morrison settled in Baltimore, he worked as a pipefitter and steamfitter for Howard Fosler & Sons.

In 1969, he received his master plumber's license. When the Fosler firm closed that same year, he opened his own business, the James C. Morrison Plumbing and Heating Co., which he operated until retiring in 1982.

Survivors include his son, James C. Morrison Jr. of Cohasset, Mass.; a daughter by a previous marriage, Arlyne Trelease of Hillside, Ill.; and two brothers, Carl Morrison of Kennewick, Wash., and Ivan Morrison of Garden Grove, Calif.

The family suggested memorial donations to the Salesian Missions, 2 Lefevre Lane, New Rochelle, N.Y. 10801.

Asher Montandon

Baltimore native

Services for Asher Montandon, a recent college graduate and lacrosse player, will be held at 3 p.m. today at Sol Levinson & Bros. Inc., 6010 Reisterstown Road.

The Baltimore native was fatally shot during a robbery June 17 in Los Angeles. He was 24.

One week before his death, Mr. Montandon graduated from Sonoma State University in Sonoma, Calif. He was a 1986 graduate of the Park School in Brooklandville.

In college, he received certificates of commendation for his participation on the President's Budget Advisory Committee. He was on the board of directors of the Student Union and helped organize lecture series for Associated Student Productions.

His lacrosse teammates at Sonoma State voted him "Most Valuable Player" this year.

Survivors include his mother, Joan Montandon of Washington, D.C.;; a brother, Maccabee Montandon of Walnut Creek, Calif.; his stepfather, Henri Montandon of Walnut Creek; his grandparents, Mitchell and Hilda Stevan of Baltimore and Annetta Ruby of Huntingdon Beach, Calif.; and his step-grandmother, Eleanor Montandon of Swansea, Mass.

Donald R. Scott

Tavern owner, veteran

Donald Ray Scott, a tavern owner and Korean War veteran, died June 26 at Stella Maris Hospice of cancer. He was 62.

Mr. Scott and his wife, the former Theresa M. Byrne, whom he married in 1955, bought the Franklintown Inn in the West Baltimore in 1964 and had operated it since.

The Baltimore native attended city public schools. At 18, he enlisted in the Army, serving in the 19th Infantry Regiment of the 24th Division in Japan from 1948 to 1950 and in Korea from 1950 to 1952. He attained the rank of sergeant.

In 1950 in Korea, while his battalion was under heavy attack, then-Corporal Scott jumped behind a pile of rocket launchers to escape the machine-gun fire of North Korean troops. His brother, David Lee Scott, a member of a field artillery battery supporting the battalion, "had exactly the same instinct for cover and chose the same place to find it," according to a report in The Sun.

"They practically bumped helmets as both dived for the shelter, with machine gun slugs whizzing overhead," the report said.

Mr. Scott was wounded by shrapnel in Korea and suffered crippling nerve damage in his legs. His commendations included the Combat Infantry Badge, Purple Heart, Bronze Star and the Korean War service medal with five battle stars.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.