Man released after 100 days of 90-day solicitation sentence

July 01, 1992|By Darren M. Allen | Darren M. Allen,Staff Writer

WESTMINSTER -- When Barry Kolodner received a 90-day sentence last month for solicitation to commit murder, his attorney told him he was lucky.

On Monday, he got luckier.

The three-month sentence handed down May 20 by Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. was considered fulfilled, and Kolodner was released after the judge gave him credit for 62 days he had spent behind bars before sentencing.

Under Maryland law, any time spent in jail while awaiting trial or sentencing must be counted as part of a sentence.

Why Kolodner did not tell his attorney or the judge about his nearly two months behind bars until June 10 wasn't entirely clear Monday.

"After a while, I got a call from Barry, and he told me about the 60 or so days he had already spent at the detention center," his attorney, Ronald Kurland, said before Burns granted the immediate sentence reduction. "If he hadn't said anything, he'd be serving more time, time he wasn't required to serve."

Kolodner, a 30-year-old Baltimore man who lives with his mother, was called "pathetic and weak" by Burns during the May sentencing.

Even Kurland said the short, slight man had the brain of an adolescent.

"I can tell the court that his life is a really pathetic set of circumstances," Kurland said at the time. "His body may be 30 years of age, but his mind is more like 15. His mother takes care of his finances, she does his cleaning, she makes his bed."

Kolodner pleaded guilty to the solicitation charge in December, and the state's attorney's office agreed to seek a sentence of less than 18 months.

Burns sentenced him to seven years in state prison, then suspended all but three months to be served in the Carroll County Detention Center.

Court records show that Kolodner was to pay someone $1,500 to kill Michael Blickman, a Baltimore man whom Kolodner owed more than $8,000 in gambling debts. The man he attempted to hire, however, turned out to be an undercover Carroll state trooper.

Kolodner owed Blickman money he had lost on a gambling machine in Blickman's Baltimore arcade.

Instead of paying the money, Kolodner said he would give Blickman an illegal satellite decoder that would allow him to broadcast live horse races in his arcade.

Kolodner had been charged in Baltimore with selling the decoders and was scheduled to go to jail for six months for violating his probation by selling them.

During May's sentencing hearing, Kolodner told the judge that he was still involved in the "electronics industry."

Kolodner's release Monday will enable him to get back to work, he said in a June 10 letter to Burns. The letter was the first time anyone was made aware of his previous jail time.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.