Child-support evader released from jail in plea agreement

July 01, 1992|By Darren M. Allen | Darren M. Allen,Staff Writer

WESTMINSTER -- A former highly paid businessman who owes his ex-wife more than $13,500 in back child support was released from jail yesterday after paying her $1,000 in cash and pleading guilty to a single non-support charge.

Michael Glover -- who has been in the Carroll County Detention Center since surrendering to the sheriff on March 11 -- was given a suspended three-year sentence, ordered to resume monthly support payments of at least $725 within several months and agreed to a wage attachment until his support payments are caught up.

Circuit Judge Francis M. Arnold also imposed five years of unsupervised probation and told the unemployed 42-year-old to keep the court informed of his whereabouts.

After the 50-minute morning hearing, Glover's ex-wife, Sherree Brown, said she was mostly pleased with the agreement, but thinks the system should keep an eye on him.

"A law is a law, and he has spit in the system's face before," she said. "Let him out, let him get a job, but we need to keep tabs on him."

The plea agreement was hammered out Monday afternoon by Assistant State's Attorney James F. Brewer and Public Defender Judson K. Larrimore. In addition to the criminal penalties, the agreement calls for reducing Glover's unpaid child support to a civil court judgment.

That, in effect, means it is up to Brown and her attorneys to collect the money.

"This guy has the potential to go out there and make big bucks," Brewer said. "But once his grace period is over, we'll be watching him. He knows that if he fails to keep current on his support payments, he's staring three years in state prison in the face."

Larrimore declined to comment on the settlement.

Glover is seeking to have the $725 payment amount reduced, although that amount was determined by Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns at a time when Brown was given custody of only two of the couple's three boys. She now has custody of all three.

Brown and Glover were married for 12 years, divorcing in 1985. Since then, the two have battled in courtrooms, at each other's homes and over the telephone about their sons, age 11 to 16, who have been bounced back and forth between the parents.

Fed up with Glover's non-payment of child support, Brown and her new husband staked out a suburban Philadelphia post office box rented by Glover and had him arrested in March. He turned himself over to Carroll sheriff's deputies nine days after that arrest.

He was about to make an appearance on the state's list of the 10 most-wanted child-support evaders at the time, state officials said.

Glover had remarried -- he has since divorced for the third time -- and moved from the Baltimore area to Phoenixville, Pa., with his sons.

Court records show he had an annual income as an executive of an auto parts firm of more than $70,000 as recently as 1989, but he said in March he never paid child support to Brown for the period she cared for the children because she "harassed" him and his new family.

At the time of his arrest, he had paid a total of $450 in child support, court records show.

After turning himself in several months ago, Glover said he had been living out of his van and at friends' houses for much of last year. He will live with his parents until he finds a job.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.