Lewis W. Weinhardt Sr., a retired regional vice president of Maryland National Bank, died of a lung ailment June 11 at St. Agnes Hospital. He was 87.
A native Baltimorean, Mr. Weinhardt was a graduate of City College, and studied business at the Johns Hopkins University and accounting at the now-defunct Baltimore College of Commerce.
He began his 47-year career in banking as an 18-year-old runner for the old Drovers and Mechanics Bank on Eutaw Street. He also worked for the Maryland Trust Co. In 1954, he became assistant treasurer of Maryland National Bank's Eastpoint office. He was promoted to manager of the bank's Light Street office in 1961 and was named an assistant vice president the next year.
He managed the bank's Glen Burnie branch from 1964 to 1967, a period in which he also was promoted to vice president of Maryland National. In 1967, Mr. Weinhardt became a regional vice president for Southern Maryland -- the position he held at retirement in 1970.
He served as president of the American Institute of Banking in 1956 and 1957, and over the years was a member or officer in organizations including the Lions, Rotary and Kiwanis clubs and the March of Dimes. He also was a member of the Millington Masonic Lodge and the Catonsville Chamber of Commerce.
A resident of Catonsville, he was a member of the Catonsville United Methodist Church for more than 50 years and served on its finance committee.
Survivors include his wife of 59 years, the former Esther Wolff; a daughter, Carol W. Kemble of Catonsville; a son, L. William Weinhardt Jr. of Sykesville; and four grandsons.
Services were held June 15.
The family suggested memorial donations to the Catonsville United Methodist Church, 6 Melvin Ave., Catonsville 21228.