Commissioner visits slain boy's homePolice Commissioner...


June 27, 1992|By From Staff Reports

BALTIMORE — Commissioner visits slain boy's home

Police Commissioner Edward V. Woods paid a visit yesterday to the home of the 3-year-old boy who was killed by a stray bullet Wednesday on the city's east side.

Mr. Woods met briefly with the family of Andre Antonio Dorsey, then took a short walk through the drug-infested neighborhood, talking with residents along the way.

"I appreciated that he came, but he said there's nothing that he can do," said Felicia Dorsey, the dead boy's mother. "Even if the police do try to do something more in the neighborhood, I'm not planning on even staying around to see it. I'm moving."

After leaving the family's home in the 900 block of E. Biddle St., Mr. Woods walked up Wilcox Street, an alley where drug dealers sell crack cocaine. He heard some advice from residents.

"I told him to tear all these rotten houses down and build the kids a playground," said Denise Lewis, 20, who lives on nearby Olive Street.

A city police officer accompanying Mr. Woods found two vials of crack cocaine on the ground in the alley.

"Those are all over," said Geraldine Gilmore, 26, a mother of four. "My youngest kids collect the vials. They think they're pretty." The taxicab of a Bel Air man who disappeared Monday was found last night in 55 feet of water at a quarry near Havre de Grace, and divers began searching for his body, the Harford County Sheriff's Office reported.

Elvert Jones, 41, a driver for Victory Cab who lives in the 300 block of James St., last made contact with his dispatcher Monday night.

Cissy Mauck, a dispatcher for Victory and Aberdeen Cab, said Mr.Jones picked up a fare at an Aberdeen carwash about 9:30 p.m., drove the customer to Edgewood and called in by radio to find out out much he was to charge for the trip.

He was told to charge the customer $12, and never radioed back, she said.

Police suspected that Mr. Jones may have been robbed. Police began looking in quarries around the northern end of the county. They found the cab in water at Whiteford Quarries, on Quarry Road.

Bomb-like device found at Fort Meade


Demolitions experts scouring Fort Meade acreage for unexploded ordnance punctured a canister or bomb-like device yesterday that officials at first feared contained mustard gas long rumored to be buried near the airfield there.

But after seven hours of gathering samples and consulting military books on chemical weapons, officials said they believe the device is an unexploded artillery shell.

A private company has been sweeping the 8,100 acres of what used to be old firing ranges for several months, trying to remove most of the unexploded ordnance that has accumulated since World War I. The land, declared surplus by the federal government two years ago, now belongs to the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center.

The company has surveyed nearly 4,000 acres and has found 744 pieces of live ordnance, including M-9 rifle grenades, high-explosive rocket warheads and 60mm mortar rounds.

Bomb experts from the Aberdeen Proving Ground were on their way to Fort Meade last night to help determine what the device is and disarm it, blow it up or remove move it.

Teen-ager charged in his father's slaying


A teen-ager was arrested yesterday and charged with killing his father in a robbery at the man's town house in Germantown, Montgomery County police said.

Stevenson King, 19, of the first block of Cross Ridge Court was charged with first-degree murder, armed robbery and a handgun violation in Wednesday's slaying of Steven Hong-Luk King, 51.

Also arrested yesterday was William Dalonte Odom, 17, a next-door neighbor of the son. The youth was charged as an adult with murder, conspiracy and use of a handgun, police said.

Mr. King, the owner of a cafe in Germantown, was believed to have been shot to death late Wednesday at his family's town house on Cross Ridge Court, police said.

The suspected murder weapon and an undisclosed amount of cash allegedly taken from the home have been recovered, police said.

Mr. King lived in Rockville but would often spend a few nights a week at the Germantown town house near his restaurant, police said.

Martin Welch named to city Circuit Court


Martin Pierre Welch, a division chief with the city solicitor's office, was named a judge on the city's Circuit Court yesterday by Gov. William Donald Schaefer.

The appointment of Mr. Welch, 38, fills the vacancy created by the retirement of Judge Joseph I. Pines. Mr. Welch will serve on the court until the general election in November 1994, when he will have the option of standing for election.

Mr. Welch is a 1974 graduate of what was then Frostburg State College. He received his law degree from the University of Maryland in 1977.

An Ashburton resident, he has served in the city solicitor's office since 1980. He currently holds the title of chief of the corporate division.

MCEA picks O'Brien as executive director


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.