* COMMISSIONER'S OFFICE -- Officially suspended Steve Howe, New York Yankees pitcher, permanently.
* KANSAS CITY ROYALS -- Signed Johnny Damon, outfielder.
* MINNESOTA TWINS -- Signed Gus Gandarillas, pitcher, and Adrian Gordon, outfielder, to minor-league contracts.
* OAKLAND ATHLETICS -- Optioned Joe Slusarski, pitcher, to Tacoma of the Pacific Coast League. Recalled Johnny Guzman, pitcher, from Tacoma.
* NL -- Suspended Bobby Bonilla, New York Mets outfielder, for two games and fined him an undisclosed amount for his role in a bench-clearing incident and for throwing an umpire to the ground on June 24.
* NEW YORK METS -- Signed John Harris and Mark McGinn, pitchers, and assigned them to the Gulf Coast League. Signed Don Parker, outfielder, and Justin Krablin, pitcher, to minor-league contracts.
BASKETBALL National Basketball Association
* DETROIT PISTONS -- Traded William Bedford, center, and the rights to Don MacLean, forward, to the Los Angeles Clippers for Olden Polynice, center, and second-round draft picks in 1996 and 1997.
* MILWAUKEE BUCKS -- Traded Jay Humphries, guard, and Larry Krystkowiak, forward, to the Utah Jazz for Blue Edwards, forward, Eric Murdock, guard, and a 1992 first-round draft pick. Signed Anthony Avent, forward, to a four-year contract. Named Jim Eyen assistant coach.
* NEW YORK KNICKS -- Acquired Rolando Blackman, guard, from the Dallas Mavericks for a 1995 first-round draft pick. Released Kiki Vandeweghe, forward.
FOOTBALL National Football League
* KANSAS CITY -- Signed Brent White, defensive end.
* MIAMI DOLPHINS -- Signed Bobby Harden, safety, to a multiyear contract.
* PHILADELPHIA EAGLES -- Waived Rod Harris, kick return specialist. Signed Keith Neubert, tight end, and Curtis Moore, linebacker. Released Stacy Hunter, tight end, and Chad McMillan, center.
HOCKEY National Hockey League
* NEW JERSEY DEVILS -- Signed Craig Billington, goaltender, to a multiyear contract.
* WASHINGTON CAPITALS -- Signed Michael Boback, center.