Activities are also planned for preschoolers. Children will receive logbook and game sheet to chart their reading progress, and will be eligible for prize drawings at the end of the six-week program. Prizes this year include tickets to Busch Gardens, the Baltimore Zoo, Wild World and the Capital Children's Museum, plus coupons for bowling, pizza, Slurpee's, Frosty's and cookies from Fuddrucker's.
Each week, a special event is planned. County Executive Robert Neall will join Chester as first guest from 1:30 to 2 p.m. Thursday.
* The administrative board of Brooklyn United Methodist Church, Fourth and Pontiac avenues, will meet at 7:30 p.m. tonight.
* Sunday will be the Rev. John Buchheister's last Sunday at the church. We wish him well is his retirement.
* The Brooklyn Park Broncos Youth Football and Cheerleaders will continue open registration from 6 to 8 p.m. today, Thursday and June 22 at the field, behind Brooklyn Park/Lindale Junior High School on Hammonds Lane.
Football players must be between the ages of 7 and 15, cheerleaders between 4 and 15. Registration for football is $40 for one child, and $35 for the second. Cheerleading registration is $35 for one child, and $30 for the second.
For more information, call 636-6686 (football), or 859-8809 (cheerleading).
* The Brooklyn Park Youth Athletic Association will conduct soccer registration for boys and girls ages 5 to 15, as of Dec. 31, 1992. Registration will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays at the Sugar Shack, on the 10th Avenue fields.
Registration is $25 for one child, $40 for two or more. For more information, call Frank Shipley at 636-1343.
* On Thursday, County Executive Robert Neall will spend the day visiting the Brooklyn Park area, meeting with various improvement associations, visiting children at the library and eating dinner at the 10th Avenue fields. Look for him in your area and voice your concerns. Now is the time to let him know how we feel about our community.