Chris Messineo, Al Lee, Cris Asher and Kristy Moltz all PTC received Seahawk Hall of Fame Awards during South River High School's recent Spring Sports Award Night.
The Hall of Fame awards were started this year to honor outstanding seniors who demonstrate excellence in sports.
Messineo, a running back and captain of the football team, gained 2,305 yards and scored 17 touchdowns in his four-year varsity career.
A center midfielder for the lacrosse team, he earned high school All-American status and was the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association Scholar Athlete and South River Sports Boosters Scholar Athlete of the year. He has been accepted to the U.S. Naval Academy Prep School in Newport, R.I.
This past winter, Lee became the school's all-time leading scorer in boys basketball with 1,092 points in three years. He also finished as South River's all-time leading rebounder and three-point shooter, garnering first-team All-County honors.
On the baseball diamond, Lee (a captain in both sports) received All-County honors, driving in 18 runs while batting .413. He is choosing from among several Division I schools vying for his services in baseball.
Asher was named to the all-state team in soccer and garnered All-Metro honors in soccer in two seasons. He was selected to various All-County teams in both soccer and lacrosse (captain in both sports) in his junior and senior seasons.
Asher, who has been accepted into the U.S. Naval Academy (where he will play lacrosse), also obtained MPSSAA Scholar Athlete and South River Sports Boosters Scholar Athlete Awards.
Moltz, the county's leading scorer in field hockey and girls
lacrosse, made first-team coaches All-County in both sports. Captain in both sports, she participated in the Johns Hopkins Hall of Fame game and accepted an athletic scholarship to Anne Arundel Community College, where she will play for the women's lacrosse team.
Other athletic scholarship winners were Edmund Hicks -- Washington College, basketball; Derrick Raikes -- Bowie State University, football; Peggy Schreiber, Shippensburg State University, lacrosse; Matt Czoka, Towson State University, lacrosse; Collette Marquis, Marshall University, volleyball; Trevor
Perkins, Fork Union Military Academy, football.
Tracy Zettle (soccer, basketball and tennis) and Hicks (football and basketball) were winners of the U.S. Marine Corps Scholar Athletes of the Year. Zettle also was named the South River Sports Booster Club's Female Scholar Athlete.
Recipients of the County Coaches Association's Paul Rusko-Jean Boyd Sportsmanship Award were Cher Coleman (field hockey and lacrosse) and Kevin Collison (soccer and lacrosse).
The following made the list of South River spring sports Scholar Athletes, obtaining at least a 3.0 grade-point average while participating in a varsity sport. Athletes with an asterisk earned at least a 3.3 GPA, qualifying them for the MPSSAA Scholar-Athletic team:
* Baseball -- Ricky Brookman*, Al Lee, William Long*, Kevin Richardson, Chad Reedy*, Clayton Wilson*, Nancy Stone* (4.0), Tim Finnelle, Dave Jones, Andy Tydings, Dan Zamirripa.
* Softball -- Renee Howard*, Michele Frelhofer*, Amanda Loftice, Koren Fry, Amy Henshaw*, Lindsey Pell* (4.0), Mary Scalon, Cassidy Dunbar*, Sherry Carper*, Marjorle Callaghan, Shannon Leib*, Bonnie Merryman, Jennifer Taylor, Shannon Burchell.
* Tennis -- Halke Finsen*, Tim Kirk, Brian Knupp*, Stephan Knupp*, Paula McDonald*, Marisa Powers*, Mary Sears*, Linda Sjostedt, Patrick Stone, Laura Taylor, Priya Vajani, Patrick Walsch, Tracy Zettle, Kara Zifchak.
* Track and field -- John Dawson*, Matt Skarr*, Richard Zanardi*, Jason Fullmer*, Susan Boller, Steven Cadiz*, Richard Emge* (4.0), Brian Marron, Angela Austin*, Lori Bishop*.
* Boys lacrosse -- Matt Czoka, Chris Messineo*, Neil Smith, K.C. Palmer, Sam Diaz* (4.0), Chris Asher*, Trevor Perkins* Jason Myrick*, Jonathan Jacquet, Ryan Mansur*, Allison "Hunter" Boggs, Richard Bembe*, Robert Patterson, Andrew Moede*, Nathan Baraa*, Michael Foley, Jeremy Geneaux, Mark Luckett, Joseph Stanger.
* Girls lacrosse -- Cher Coleman, Tiffany Eshbacker*, Tammy Hodges*, Angie King*, Heather Riley, Peggy Schreiber*, Carie Huber, Joni Jacobs*, Chrissy Burke*, Shannon Collison*, Mary "Fran" Hardt* (4.0), Jennifer Ingram*, Shannon McCleary*, Amy Voight, Megan Riley*, Elizabeth Colacicco*, Vivian Curry*, Chessa Dick, Erin Galipeau*, Jaime Melton, Sabrina Reed*, Kendra Diaz, Sandy Luckett*, Jessica Rice*, Dawn Taliferro*, Heather Traini, Marianna Fitten, Abby Shultz*.