14 survive Lighthouse Challenge


May 31, 1992|By Nancy Noyes

Of the three dozen starters in last Friday's Chesapeake Lighthouse Challenge race, only 14 survived to the finish line.

A combination of protracted dead-air doldrums and a vicious Sunday afternoon squall line -- complete with winds gusting into the 40-knot range -- weeded out all but the hardy and the lucky.

The race was created last year by the host Cape St. Claire Yacht Club as an alternative to its traditional DelMarVa Peninsula circumnavigatory Great Ocean Race. It featured three course options, including a full 282-mile round trip from Sandy Point Light to Chesapeake Light in the Atlantic Ocean off the mouth of the bay for the PHRF A-1 and A-2 competitors, and a 142-mile version for the PHRF C and Nonspinnaker classes, turning back around Smith Point Light at the mouth of the Potomac River.

The first finishers in the fleet -- mainly the PHRF C sailors with the shortest course length -- began to arrive at the Sandy Point Light finish line on Sunday afternoon, while the last boat to finish did not arrive until around 10 p.m. Monday, making this race almost as tough in terms of time expended as the GOR it replaced.

Arnold sailor Art Turowski and the crew aboard his C&C 35 Wisp were the only survivors of the PHRF B 200-mile course to Wolftrap Light and back They finished around 11 a.m. Monday, with their main sail in tatters from the heavy air after sweating out nearly two days of dead air before the front came through.

"I'd say that three-quarters of the race was kind of boring," Turowski said. "The air was real light, all the way down the bay and part of the way back up. We took some time out to go swimming, and we drifted into two crab traps down in the lower bay.

"Then, off Hooper Island on the return trip, it turned completely around. We saw 20- to 25-knot winds from about five p.m. Sunday through 11 a.m. Monday."

Things got even more exciting Sunday night when the heavy air caused major sail damage.

"In the middle of the night we shredded our main," Turowski said. "We finished with it in tatters. It just flapped and flopped around -- I'd say at about 50 percent efficiency -- until we finished."

Turowski said he and his team, whom he characterized as his regular long-distance crew, were determined to finish the Lighthouse Challenge no matter what, particularly after having had to drop out of last year's Annapolis-to-Newport Race in very heavy weather.

Also enjoying a successful race was Allen Davies and crew on his Frers 54 Now, who won the PHRF A-1 class with a finish shortly after 10 a.m. Monday.

"We had a pretty decent race, even if it was kind of light," Davies said. "We sat still for about three hours a couple of times on the way down, between Wolftrap and the [Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel] bridge on Saturday afternoon. But by Saturday evening we got through the bridge and were around the tower about 1 a.m. Sunday.

"We had a fairly good tide situation, because it was ebbing and then turned when we went around the tower. But it was still fairly light until around 6 o'clock Sunday evening, around Smith Point Light, when the front came through," Davies said. "We had 40 knots [of wind] for half an hour, and then a steady 30 out of the north the rest of the way back, so it was just a hard beat back."

PHRF A-1 (7 starters/3 finishers, 282 miles): 1. Now, Allen Davies, Wilmington, Del., 63:44:41 c.t.; 2. Cody, Sandy Morse, Washington, 68:40:18 c.t.; 3. La Chasseresse, Carl Geyer, Severna Park, 70:46:34 c.t.

PHRF A-2 (7 starters/2 finishers, 282 miles): 1. Zingarella, George Brown, Port Republic, 68:07:42 c.t.; 2. Coyote, Gene Barnhart, Annapolis, 68:44:56 c.t.

PHRF B (6 starters/1 finisher, 200 miles): 1. Wisp, Art Turowski, Arnold.

PHRF C (10 starters/7 finishers, 142 miles): 1. Triple Dee III, Peter Driscoll, Beallsville, 29:05:02 c.t.; 2. Scrimshaw, Charles Deakyne, Severna Park, 33:48:58 c.t.; 3. Esprit, Brad Geddes, Severna Park, 33:54:54 c.t.

PHRF Nonspinnaker (4 starters/1 finisher, 142 miles): 1. Anser, Jim Troutman, Bethesda.


The computer ate my homework and devoured last weekend's column on the results of the South River Sailing Association's Cruising One-Design Regatta the weekend of May 16-17.

So, here's a recap of the event, which mixed the excitement of short-course, multi-race competition in varying wind conditions with the challenges of fog and swiftly running currents.

South River's race organizers cooperated with each of the three competing fleets -- J/35, J/29, and Laser 28 -- to offer a choice of several in-fleet racing and scoring options, although for CBYRA High Point scoring purposes each of the two days in the event counted as a single race for each fleet.

In Saturday's four-race, one-day J/35 competition, winners Will Keyworth and his team on Moonbeam found that "the trick was to hit the line fast and go left."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.