Administrators of the University of Maryland Medical Center launched a $125 million, five-year capital campaign yesterday that is expected to strengthen the institution as a center for the life sciences and continue the revitalization of the west side of downtown Baltimore.
Officials announced they already have raised $72 million, or nearly three-fifths of the goal for the campaign, the first in the history of the medical center.
The center, which each year admits more than 24,000 patients and handles 210,000 outpatient visits, is a partnership of the private, non-profit University of Maryland Medical System and the public University of Maryland School of Medicine.
It has the country's fifth oldest medical school, founded in 1807, as well as the country's oldest teaching hospital, begun in 1823.
At a ceremony, an impatient Gov. William Donald Schaefer urged officials to shorten the campaign from five to three years -- the same amount of time remaining in his term.
"We can't stand still," he warned. "We can't use buildings that were fine 25 years ago without rehabilitation. How do you get the great faculty to come unless you have a great institution? . . . Everyone is in competition with everyone."
Donations will be used to help pay for a variety of capital projects and related programs. The three largest are:
* The $85 million, 278,000-square-foot Homer Gudelsky Tower, a nine-story, 149-bed clinical building planned for construction starting this summer at the northwest corner of Greene and Lombard streets. When complete in late 1994, it will house the University of Maryland Cancer Center as well as facilities for radiation oncology, nuclear medicine, surgical intensive care, ambulatory surgery and cardiac care.
* The $52 million first phase of the Health Sciences Facility, a six-story building at Baltimore and Pine streets that will contain 156,000-square feet of research space for the School of Medicine. While the state will pay for most of the project, the fund drive will help cover research activities, scholarships and related programs.
* An $8.4 million, 32,000-square-foot biomedical research facility at 108 N. Greene St. Campaign funds will go toward programs and projects inside the building, which is scheduled for completion in November.
Headed by Richard Hug, chairman of Environmental Elements Corp., the campaign has raised $22 million in private contributions and $50 million pledged by the state.
Donors of more than $1 million include the Homer and Martha Gudelsky Family Foundation, James Frenkil, Willard and Lillian Hackerman and two doctors' groups -- University Physicians Inc. and Shock Trauma Associates, P.A.