The U.S. Naval Academy will offer a new informational service to Annapolis residents and visiting friends and families of graduating midshipmen during Commissioning Week this year.
An information program, produced by the Academy's Educational Resources Center, will be broadcast live by United Cable of Annapolis on Channel 15 from 6:30 to 9:30 a.m. through May 26.
The program will include daily schedules of activities, weather forecasts and traffic advisories.
Channel 15 will broadcast live the graduation and commission ceremony and President Bush's address to the graduating Class of 1992, starting at 10:30 a.m. May 27.
The following events are planned at the U.S. Naval Academy during Commission Week:
* May 22 -- Colors Ceremony, 7:45 a.m., Tecumseh Court. Dedication Parade, 11 a.m., Worden Field. Yard Patrol Squadron will be open to visitors, 1 to 3:30 p.m., Farragut sea wall. Trident Brass Concert, 1:30 p.m., Chapel Walk Bandstand. Plebe Recognition Ceremony, 2:30 p.m., Herndon Monument. Glee Club Concert, 8:30 p.m., Alumni Hall, tickets are $6.
* May 23 -- Band concert, 10 a.m., Chapel Walk Bandstand. Yard Patrol Craft static display, 1 to 2:30 p.m., Farragut sea wall. Blue Angels Circle and Arrival, 5 p.m. (approximately) Severn River. Ring Dance, 9 p.m., Radford Terrace (not open to the public).
* May 24 -- Band concert, 10 a.m., Chapel Walk Bandstand. Blue Angels Rehearsal, 1:30 p.m. over the Severn River. Gospel Choir Concert, 3:30 p.m., Mahan Hall.
* May 25 -- Silent Drill Team, 7:50 a.m. Tecumseh Concert. Memorial Day Parade and Services, 10 a.m., Naval Academy Cemetery. Naval Review, 12:30 p.m., Severn River. Drum and Bugle Corps Performance, 1:30 p.m., Dewey Field. Blue Angels Flight Demonstration, 2 p.m., over the Severn River. Glee Club Concert, 8:30 p.m., Alumni Hall, tickets $6. Information: 268-6060.
* May 26 -- Color Parade, 11:15 a.m., Worden Field. Prizes and awards ceremony, 2:30 p.m., Alumni Hall.
* May 27 -- Graduation and Commission of the Class of 1992, 10:30 a.m. Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. Tickets required. Not open to the public, but can be viewed on cable channels.
When the Blue Angels are performing, Naval Academy gates will be closed to vehicular traffic except for academy residents and shuttle buses between 12:30 p.m. and the completion of the Blue Angels' rehearsal on May 24. On May 25, the day of demonstration, the same arrangement applies, starting at 10:30 a.m. until completion.
Boating near the mouth of the Severn River and vehicular traffic on the Old Severn River Bridge (Md. Route 450) will be restricted during the Blue Angel's circle and arrival maneuvers May 23, for the rehearsal May 24, and the naval review and flight demonstration May 25.
Maritime safety zones, enforced by the U.S. Coast Guard and the Maryland State Police, will be in effect that weekend.
* No anchoring will be permitted on the Severn River and its tributaries within an area bounded on the south by a line drawn from the quick-flashing light at the south end of the Naval Academy sea wall to Greenbury Point and bounded on the north by the U.S. Route 50 highway bridge: between 8 a.m. and 5:45 p.m., May 23; and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., both May 24 and May 25.
* The portion of the Severn River defined by the above boundaries will be closed to all boating during the Blue Angels circle and arrival maneuvers, rehearsals, and flight demonstrations during the following times: 1:45 to 5:45 p.m. May 23; noon to 5 p.m. May 24; and 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 25.
* No vehicles or pedestrian traffic will be permitted on the Old Severn River Drawbridge during the following times: 2:45 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. May 23; noon to 5 p.m. May 24; and 11:30 to 5 p.m. May 25. Use Rowe Boulevard or other alternate routes.
During these restricted periods, shoreline residents with boats moored to a permanent dock in the affected area may remain secured to their docks. However, the river is closed to all other boats, either under way, anchored, or on mooring buoys.
During Commissioning Week, the Naval Academy will provide free shuttle service between the Navy-Marine Corps Stadium and the Academy. The shuttles will run at 15 minute intervals between 7:30 a.m. and 9 p.m., May 22-24 and May 26.
On May 25, the shuttles run between 7:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. There will be no additional buses after the Blue Angels demonstration.
Other summer and fall events taking place at the U.S. Naval Academy include:
* Summer Serenades -- by the Naval Academy band, a series of free Tuesday night concerts starting at 8 p.m. July 7 at the Annapolis City Docks; open to the public. Other concert dates are July 14, 21, and 28; Aug. 4, 11, and 18. Bring chairs.
* Induction Day -- Class of 1996, July 2.
* Parents Weekend -- Class of 1996, Aug. 14-16.
* Brigade returns -- Aug. 18.
* Parents Weekend -- Class of 1993, Sept. 25-27.