3 city men killed in separate shootingsThree Baltimore men...


May 18, 1992|By From Staff Reports

3 city men killed in separate shootings

Three Baltimore men were fatally shot within about seven hours over the weekend in unrelated slayings in different sections of the city.

The most recent of the slayings occurred shortly past 1:30 a.m. yesterday near Pimlico Race Course. Police investigating gunshots found Edward Blanks, 38, of the 4800 block of Palmer Ave., lying dead in the middle of the street in the 3000 block of Oakley Ave.

Shortly before 11 p.m. Saturday, officers checking out a reported shooting found Eugene Scott, 48, lying in an alley near the 400 block of E. 25th Street. He was dead on arrival at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Police said they were looking for a suspect, Larry Wright, 19, of the 2000 block of Greenmount Ave., who was charged in a warrant with first-degree murder.

At 7 p.m. Saturday, police found a 26-year-old man lying wounded in the 800 block of W. Fayette St. The man, whose name was withheld pending notification of his family, was dead on arrival at the University of Maryland Medical Center.

3 die in road crashes on Shore, in Frederick

Three people died in traffic accidents Saturday, including a man and woman who were killed when a car overturned and landed in a cemetery on Kent Island, State Police said.

Police said Albert Procopio, 24, of Edgewater was driving his 1991 Chevrolet Corvette too fast on U.S. 50 in Stevensville about 11:15 p.m. when he lost control and the car hit a ditch.

The car overturned and landed on its hood in a cemetery just east of Kent Point Road, police said. Mr. Procopio and his passenger, Sherry Naughton, 22, of Owings were pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

About 3 p.m. Saturday, a 17-year-old Howard County youth was killed when he drove a 1979 Datsun through a flashing red light in Frederick and collided with another car, police said.

Police said Richard Kevin Williams Jr., of Ellicott City, was eastbound on Old Annapolis Road when he went through the light and hit a 1989 Nissan Sentra that was southbound on Route 75.

A passenger in the Datsun, Dara Leins, 15, also of Ellicott City, was taken by ambulance to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where she was listed in serious condition last night, police said.

The driver of the Nissan, Doris Engel, 50, of Mount Airy, was taken to Frederick Memorial Hospital, police said. She was listed in stable condition last night, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Power glitch delays light rail's first run

The first officially scheduled run on the Central Light Rail Line was delayed twice yesterday by power problems in opening-day service that otherwise had Mass Transit Administration officials smiling.

About 6,200 people rode the light-rail line on the first day of regular service on the $446.3 million system's initial 13-mile segment, said MTA spokeswoman Dianna Rosborough.

The problems caused brief delays for the train that left Timonium at 11 a.m. on the first officially scheduled run. But MTA Administrator Ronald J. Hartman noted that trains had begun running earlier in the morning, jumping the gun on the schedule, and had no difficulties.

Ridership was light, as expected, because it was Sunday, MTA officials said. The true test of service will be today when commuters are expected to begin using the line running from Timonium to Camden Yards -- and which eventually will link Baltimore and Anne Arundel counties.

For the record

CHEVERLY -- A 77-year-old Prince George's County woman was killed Saturday night in a fire that did $30,000 in damage to a duplex in Cheverly, fire officials said.

Firefighters found the body of Bertha P. Washington, of the 2400 block of Muncy Circle, in her bedroom a few minutes after they extinguished the one-alarm fire about 11:30 p.m.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.