H. B. Cummings, Koppers Co. executive
A memorial service for Harry B. "Gus" Cummings, a retired vice president and general manager of the Metal Products Division of the Koppers Co. who headed government and community groups in Baltimore, will be held at noon June 21 at St. John's Episcopal Church, 3738 Butler Road, Glyndon.
Mr. Cummings, who was 85, died April 13 at his home in Boca Grande, Fla., after an abdominal blood vessel burst.
He retired from Koppers in 1969 after heading the metal products division, headquartered in Baltimore, since 1958. He joined the division at the old Bartlett-Hayward plant in 1956 as vice president and assistant general manager.
He had started working for a gas company in Boston that was affiliated with Koppers in 1934 and also held posts with Koppers or affiliates in New Jersey and at the corporate headquarters in Pittsburgh before coming to Baltimore.
He had served as chairman of the board of the Baltimore branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, Va., chairman of the Civic Center Commission, president of the Baltimore Community Chest and of the United Fund Drive, president of the board of the South Baltimore General Hospital, now the Harbor Hospital Center, and president of the Baltimore Opera Company.
He also served on several state commissions and advisory boards, and as treasurer of a campaign committee for former Sen. Charles McC. Mathias Jr., a Maryland Republican.
A member of the Commission on Governmental Efficiency and Economy and the executive committee of the Greater Baltimore Committee, he served on the boards of Goucher College, the College of Notre Dame of Maryland, Junior Achievement of Metropolitan Baltimore, the Baltimore Safety Council and the Maryland Academy of Sciences and was chairman of the major gifts division in 1969 of the Maryland Science Center Building Fund Campaign.
He served as vice president of the Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Baltimore and the United Nations Association of Maryland and as vice chairman of the 1963 Baltimore Citizens Committee for United Nations Week.
In addition to serving as an officer or board member of firms affiliated with the metal products division of Koppers, he served on the boards of Schenuit Industries, the Maryland National Bank and the First National Bank.
Born in Woburn, Mass., he was a 1927 graduate of Dartmouth College and did graduate work in business at Boston University and the Harvard Business School.
He was a member of the Maryland Club, the Center Club and the Greenspring Valley Hunt Club. His first wife, the former Madge Frey, died in 1965, and his second wife, the former Sybil Merwyn, died in 1985.
He is survived by his wife, the former Margaret Durkin; two sons, H. M. "Peter" Cummings of Key Largo, Fla., and Dr. Charles W. Cummings of Baltimore; a sister, Doris Ferguson of Chapel Hill, N.C.; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
Harold A. List, Engineer, inventor
Harold A. List, an engineer credited with more than two dozen U.S. and foreign patents for inventions related to railroad technology and computerized steel manufacturing, died March 29 at the Stella Maris Hospice in Towson of a brain tumor. He was 68.
Mr. List was the former president of Railway Engineering Associates, located in the World Trade Center in Baltimore, which he founded in 1975.
Earlier, he worked at several large corporations including Bethlehem Steel, where he coordinated the computerization of the hot strip mills. He designed and obtained a patent for automatic process control systems for steel furnaces and rolling mills.
Born in Warren, Ohio, Mr. List was a longtime resident of Bethlehem, Pa. He was living in Roland Park and affiliated with the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer on Charles Street at the (( time of his death.
During World War II, he served in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and converted the locomotive repair shop at Fort Benning, Ga., from steam to diesel-electric.
He received his undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering from Carnegie-Mellon University in 1946 and his master's from the University of Pennsylvania in 1950.
As a young engineer for the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, where he worked from 1946 to 1947, he helped design and build the C&O steam turbine-electric locomotives. He also assisted in building the last conventional steam engines for China, India and Western Maryland.
Mr. List was a member of several choirs and musical groups during his life, including the Bach Choir of Bethlehem, Pa., and the Bucks County Symphony Orchestra. He originated the Saucon Valley Brass Group and was a 25-year member of CANMAC, an amateur music group and camp in Montreal.
He was active in the American Railway Engineering Association in Washington and numerous railroad organizations, as well as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Tau Beta Pi and Pi Tau Sigma.