Marine Pfcs. Eric S. Cole, son of Elizabeth DeCoursey of Hampstead, and Wesley D. Sanders, son of Glendol R. and Linda L. Sanders of Westminster, recently completed recruit training.
During the training cycle at Marine Corps Depot, Parris Island, S.C., recruits are taught the basics of battlefield survival and introduced to military daily routine.
Cole, a 1989 graduate of Overlea High School in Baltimore, joined the Marine Corps in March 1991.
Sanders, a 1990 graduate of Westminster High School, also was promoted to his present rank.
* Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class David R. Wasilko, a 1989 Liberty High School graduate, recently re- enlisted for six years while serving with the submarine Precommissioning Unit Columbus, based at Groton, Conn.
He joined the Navy in January 1990.
* Marine Lance Cpl. Christian H. Dean, son of Mr. and Mrs. Elwood Dean of Westminster, recently completed cold-weather training aboard the USS Pensacola in Norway.
Following training, he spent time in Belgium.
Dean also served in Operation Desert Storm and is currently stationed with the 2nd Marines, 2nd Marine Division, Tow Platoon, Camp Lejeune, N.C.
He is a 1990 graduate of North Carroll High School.
* Marine Lance Cpl. Jamie M. Jolles, son of Gretchen P. Jolles of Union Bridge, was recently promoted to his present rank while serving with the 9th Marines, 3rd Marine Division, Okinawa, Japan.
The 1991 graduate of Linganore High School, Frederick County, joined the Marine Corps in June 1991.
* Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Darrell W. Teegarden recently reported for duty aboard the submarine tender USS Canopus, homeported in Kings Bay, GA.
He is the son of Lawrence T. Teegarden of Mount Airy and Helen M. Gillis of Sykesville. The 1978 graduate of Linganore High School, Frederick County, joined the Navy in August 1982.
* Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Danny W. Nightingale recently returned aboard the aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, based in Norfolk, Va., following a six-month deployment.
He participated in operations in the Atlantic Ocean, Mediterranean Sea, Red Sea and Persian Gulf, as well as in the NATO Exercise Teamwork '92 in the Norwegian Sea.
Teamwork '92, designed to improve the professionalism and effectiveness of NATO forces while operating in the North Atlantic and coastal waters of Norway, included maritime, air, amphibious and field training exercises.
Other exercises conducted by the crew include "Eager Mace," a 10-day joint amphibious landing exercise in Kuwait, and "Sandstorm," a joint effort with the U.S. Air Force.
Nightingale, son of Jacqueline R. and stepson of James Wallace of Mount Airy, visited the cities of Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and Palam, Spain.
The 1982 South Carroll High School graduate joined the Navy in March 1982.
* Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Robert T. Abel recently made a historical port visit to Subic Bay Naval Station, Republic of the Philippines, aboard the aircraft carrier USS Independence, deployed to Yokosuka, Japan.
The five-day port call marked the last aircraft carrier battle group scheduled to visit Subic Bay before U.S. forces withdraw from the Philippines.
The crew of USS Independence played a part in the withdrawal by loading onto the carrier 30,000 square feet of equipment bound for transfer to Yokosuka Naval Base, Japan.
A central theme of the visit was an ambitious community-relations effort to build goodwill and friendship with the Philippine people. His wife, Vicki, is the daughter of Raymond S. and Maryann Spangler of Westminster. The 1980 graduate of Upper Moreland High School, Willow Grove, Pa., joined the Navy in August 1980.