Getting pictures copied


May 03, 1992|By Anita Gold | Anita Gold,Chicago Tribune

Q: Where can I get oil-on-canvas paintings copied from old pictures of country general stores, barbershops, saloons, filling stations, bait and boat houses, as well as houses of ill-repute and pool halls?

A: Andrew Weissman, one of the country's best copyists, does oil paintings from any sharp image. Contact him at Weissman Art Gallery, 4350 Oakton St., Skokie, Ill. 60076, or call (708) 679-2639 for an appointment. Enclose a description or photo of what you wish copied and an addressed, stamped envelope for a reply or list of available oil paintings copied from famous museum works.

Q: Where can I see examples of Pairpoint lamps that I'm told are quite valuable? How can I find out more about them?

A: These lamps -- for table, floor and ceiling -- were made in New Bedford, Mass., between 1907 and 1929; their shades were hand-painted with such things as lush flowers and fruits. "Pairpoint Lamps," by Edward and Sheila Malakoff, is available for $98 postpaid from the authors at 276 Princeton Drive, River Edge, N.J. 07661, or call (201) 487-1989.

Q: How can we find out the value of a 70-year-old mah-jongg set acquired in China in the early 1920s? It has hand-painted symbols on bone or ivory tiles contained in a teakwood and brass cabinet.

A: Collector Joe Scales will pay $500 to $1,000 or more for a complete pre-1930 mah-jongg set. For an offer, send two typical tiles by insured mail to 3827 Los Santos Drive, Cameron Park, Calif. 95682, or call (916) 677-0262.

David Galt, 302 W. 78th St., New York, N.Y. 10024, wants pre-1946 mah-jongg sets; enclose a description of the set and an addressed, stamped envelope for a reply. Call (212) 769-2514.

Q: How can I sell a 1930s RCA television set in mint condition that I heard someone on a TV program say was worth $30,000?

A: Send a photo or description of the set to Dan Gustafson, 211 E. Ontario St., Suite 1750, Chicago, Ill. 60611; enclose an addressed, stamped envelope for a reply, evaluation or offer. Call (312) 664-1999. RCA sets dating from 1939 and later can be found in the new "Classic TVs With Price Guide -- Pre-War Thru 1950s," edited by Scott Wood and available for $18.95 postpaid from L-W Book Sales, Box 69, Gas City, Ind. 46933. Call (317) 674-6450.

Q: I have a collection of art deco picture frames that I'd like to find out more about. And where can I find someone to repair or replace broken easel stands?

A: "Picture Perfect: Deco Photo Frames 1926-1946" by Steve Starr has pictures of a wide selection of such highly stylized frames and is available for $33 postpaid from Steve Starr Studios, 2654 N. Clark St., Chicago, Ill. 60614. Mr. Starr can put you in touch with a frame restorer; phone him at (312) 525-6530.

Q: Where can I find information on silent motion picture memorabilia?

A: Contact these sources: Studio Collectors Club, Box 1566, Apple Valley, Calif. 92307; Movie Collectors' World, Box 309, Fraser, Mich. 48026; the Big Reel, Empire Publishing, Route 3, Box 83, Madison, N.C. 27025.

For $25 you can get the monthly Classic Images, devoted to classic films, available from Box 809, Muscatine, Iowa 52761. Books on movie collectibles include "Hollywood Collectibles," by Dian Zillner, $31.95 postpaid from Schiffer Publishing Ltd., 1469 Morstein Road, West Chester, Pa. 19380, (215) 696-1001; and "Collector's Guide to Treasures from the Silver Screen" by John Hegenberger, $19.45 postpaid from Wallace-Homestead Book Co., One Chilton Way, Radnor, Pa. 19089-0230, (800) 695-1214.

Q: I recently started collecting sugar shakers. How can I find out more about them?

A. "Kitchen Glassware of the Depression Years" by Gene Florence is $21.95 postpaid from Collector Books, Box 3009, Paducah, Ky. 42002-3009; (800) 626-5420. Or write to Bob Hendel, a sugar shaker collector, Apt. 12G, 1385 York Ave., New York, N.Y. 10021; (212) 772-9070.

Q: Where can I find information on "Dark Shadows" TV show memorabilia?

A. For information on such TV shows as "Dark Shadows," "The Munsters" and "The Addams Family," write to Louis Wendruck, Box 69A04, West Hollywood, Calif. 90069; (213) 650-5112.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.