Elderly housing created from a canning factory, offices inside an old bus station, and an Asian Arts museum created from one of Baltimore's finest mansions are among the seven local preservation projects cited in the 1992 Preservation Awards program sponsored by Baltimore Heritage Inc.
Baltimore Heritage will present the awards during its annual banquet May 18 at 6 p.m. at the USF&G Mount Washington Conference Center, 5801 Smith Ave.
* Indeco Elderly Housing, conversion of the former Independent Can Co. building at 924 Lakewood Ave. in Canton to 20 affordable apartments. Owner: Housing Authority of Baltimore City. Architect: Cho, Wilks and Benn. Contractor: Struever Bros., Eccles & Rouse.
* The conversion to offices of the Greyhound Bus Terminal at 601 N. Howard St. Owner: Park Centre Ventures Limited Partnership. Architect: Gould Architects P. A. Contractor: Struever Bros., Eccles & Rouse.
* Hackerman House, conversion of the Thomas-Jencks-Gladding Mansion at 1 W. Mount Vernon Place to a museum of Asian Arts. Owner: Walters Art Gallery. Architect: Grieves, Worrall, Wright & O'Hatnick. Contractor: Roy Kirby & Sons.
* Restoration of the main building of the Maryland Institute College of Art at 1300 Mount Royal Ave. Owner: Maryland Institute College of Art. Architect: Grieves, Worrall, Wright & O'Hatnick. Contractors: Whiting Turner Contracting Co. and Fred. H. Eisenbrandt, Building Cleaning.
* Pine Street Station, conversion of a Victorian police station to a university security office. Owner: University of Maryland at Baltimore. Architect: Edward A. Masek Jr.
* Trahan, Burden and Charles Building, conversion of a former pharmaceutical manufacturing facility at 1030 North Charles St. to headquarters for an advertising and public relations agency. Owner: Trahan, Burden and Charles. Architect: Ziger, Hoopes & Snead Inc. Construction manager: Manekin Corp.
* Twenty-One West Hughes Street, upgrading of a small commercial structure in South Baltimore for office use. Owner: Wynnewood Enterprises. Architect: L. R. Rayburn, AIA. Contractor: Gladwynne Construction Co.
Zion Lutheran Church will receive a "block by block" preservation award for its efforts to preserve the building.
Honor awards will be presented to the Johns Hopkins University and Friends of President Street Station.
The Douglas H. Gordon Award for Preservation Advocacy will be presented to the Society for the Preservation of Federal Hill and Fells Point.
Ralph Vincent, president of the Friends of President Street Station, will be speak at the banquet.
The cost is $35 for members and $40 for non-members. Reservations can be made through Baltimore Heritage at 366-7724.
* Marian House, a 10-year-old residential and counseling program for women, has launched a transitional housing project called Marion House II.
In Waverly at 3227 and 3229 Avon Ave., Marion House II consists of two rowhouses that have been restored for continued use as housing. Marion House purchased the properties last summer at a bank foreclosure and hired Kelly Clayton & Mojzisek to provide architectural and construction services.
Marian House II was designed to provide living space for seven homeless women for up to 24 months.
* Chicago architect Stanley Tigerman will discuss his work during a lecture at the Meyerhoff Auditorium of the Baltimore Museum of Art, Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets cost $12 for the general public, $8 for students, and $10 for members of the museum and the Baltimore chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
* The Property Owners Association of Greater Baltimore Inc. will present a Landlord Survival Seminar May 5 and 6 from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Tremont Plaza Hotel, 222 St. Paul Place.
Advance registration is necessary. Call 727-1324.
* On May 9, Winchester Homes will begin sales of four styles of townhouses at Summit Creek, a new community it is building in the Prince George's County town of Clinton. Prices start at $119,900.
* Chateau Builders recently held a grand opening for models at Brookfield Farm, a community of 30 detached residences near Ellicott City. Prices start at $191,990.
* The Greater Baltimore Board of Realtors will sponsor its first "State of Baltimore County" Breakfast at the Hunt Valley Marriott May 14 from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
Speakers will include County Executive Roger B. Hayden; County Economic Development Commission Chairman A. Samuel Cook, and Community Development Director Frank Welsh.
Tickets are $15 per person and must be purchased in advance from Carolyn Blanchard Cook at the board, 462-2500.
* Bill Batko has joined the Enterprise Foundation as a senior program director.
Other new appointments include Herschelle Reed-Morris and Helen Fink as assistant program directors; Jennifer Hammand as assistant director, Resource Development Department; and Jay Marcus, Oramenta Fleming and Maryann Dillon as program directors.
* The Baltimore Chapter of the National Association of Women in Construction will hold an open house May 19 from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the offices of Kamanitz, Uhlfelder & Permison P.A., 4 Reservoir Circle in Baltimore. For reservations, call Robin Scribner at 636-4200.
* Oak Contracting Corp. has begun construction of a $2.9 million, 58,000-square-foot Delivery and Distribution facility at Admiral Cochrane Drive and Riva Road near Annapolis for the U.S. Postal Service. Bernard Johnson Inc. of Bethesda is the architect. The building is to be completed in December.
* The Bank of Glen Burnie will be the first tenant in the 130,000-square-foot retail center at Piney Orchard, a planned community in Anne Arundel County. Bank officials announced plans to begin building a bank branch this year and open it in 1993.