Ernestine B. McCollum, who taught nutrition and dietetics and headed an experimental nutrition laboratory at the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, died at Broadmead April 13 after a stroke.
A memorial service for Mrs. McCollum, 95, was being held today at Broadmead, the retirement community at 13801 York Road in Cockeysville, where she had lived for about 12 years.
She had been secretary in the early 1940s of the research section of the Nutrition Congress that led to publication of the first recommendations of daily allowances of nutrients by the National Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council.
As head of the Health and Welfare Section of the Maryland Home Economics Association, she helped start the Meals on Wheels service in the Baltimore area.
She taught evening courses at Hopkins and summer courses at the University of Maryland, Cornell University and the Colorado State College of Agriculture.
The former Ernestine Becker was born in Baltimore and was educated in the public schools here before earning a degree at Cornell University, where she majored in foods and nutrition. She then joined the staff of Hopkins Hospital, teaching student nurses and student dietitians.
In 1921, she moved to the staff of Dr. Elmer Verner McCollum, the discoverer of vitamins A, B and D, who was head of the department of biochemistry in the Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health. She became head of the experimental nutrition laboratory under his direction.
Miss Becker and Dr. McCollum were married in 1946. She helped with revisions of two editions of his book, "Food, Nutrition and Health." She retired in 1960.
Dr. McCollum died in 1967.
In 1984, the Ernestine McCollum Award for Community Service was established by the Manor Care Ruxton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.
Her survivors include a niece and three nephews.
The family suggested memorial contributions to Meals on Wheels of Central Maryland.