Dr. Paul V. Lemkau, pioneer in mental hygiene, dies at 82
Dr. Paul V. Lemkau, the first chairman of the Department of Mental Hygiene at the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, died Sunday of pneumonia at his home in Lusby. He was 82.
He headed the department from its creation in 1961 until 1975. He was named professor emeritus of mental hygiene in 1978.
He began teaching at the school as a part-time professor of public health administration in 1939. He was named a full-time faculty member two years later and a full professor in 1953.
The current department chairman, Dr. Sheppard Kellam, said, "Paul Lemkau set the international standard for the study of mental disorders in a community setting and taught today's professionals how to prepare research into the mental health of large populations."
Born in Springfield, Ill., he was a graduate of Baldwin-Wallace College in Berea, Ohio, and, in 1935, of the Johns Hopkins medical school. His internship and residency were at Hopkins Hospital.
He served in the Army in Europe during World War II.
A lover of music, he worked his way through medical school singing in church choirs.
In the early 1950s, he headed a Baltimore County Parent Teacher Association committee to review candidates for the school board.
From 1949 to 1953, Dr. Lemkau was chief of the division of mental hygiene in the state health department. He was director of the New York City Community Mental Health Board while on leave from Hopkins from 1955 to 1957.
While working in New York, his interest in sailing led him to build at his Staten Island home a 16-foot sailboat that he sailed to Baltimore upon his return.
His work on community-based mental health programs was used in the training of many professionals.
A former president of the Maryland Association for Mental Health, he chaired the 1969 World Mental Health Assembly in Washington.
A consultant to the World Health Organization, he taught or participated in programs or surveys in many foreign countries, including Japan, Yugoslavia, Italy, Venezuela, Mexico and other parts of Latin America.
He was a member of the American Board of Psychiatry and the American Board of Preventative Medicine and Mental Health, and he was former vice president of the American Psychiatric Association.
He had been a consultant to the National Institutes of Health and to a 1949 Maryland legislative committee on mental hospitals. He headed a 1964 study on alcoholism in Baltimore.
Both Dickinson and Baldwin-Wallace colleges awarded him honorary doctorates. Last fall, he was one of 75 "Heroes of Public Health" honored in connection with the 75th anniversary of the Hopkins medical institutions.
He is survived by his wife of 52 years, the former Ruth Roehm; four daughters, Carolyn Steiner of Baltimore, Ann Haupt of Summit, N.J., Mary Horn of Micanopy, Fla., and Elizabeth Wheeler of Fayetteville, Ark.; a son, Philip Lemkau of Yellow Springs, Ohio; 10 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Plans were being made for a memorial service in the summer.
His family suggested memorial contributions to the Department of Mental Hygiene at the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health or to Middleham Chapel, an Episcopal church in Lusby.
Authority on nutrition
A memorial service for Ernestine B. McCollum, who taught nutrition and 1ietetics and headed an experimental nutrition laboratory at the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, will be held at 2 p.m. today at Broadmead, the retirement community at 13801 York Road in Cockeysville where she had lived for about 12 years.
Mrs. McCollum, 95, died there April 13 after a stroke.
She had been secretary in the early 1940s of the research section of the Nutrition Congress that led to publication of the first recommendations of daily allowances of nutrients by the National Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council.
As head of the Health and Welfare Section of the Maryland Home Economics Association, she helped start the Meals on Wheels service in the Baltimore area.
A consultant to governmental and industrial groups, she was on the Nutritional Advisory Committee of the National Red Cross.
She taught evening courses at Hopkins and summer courses at the University of Maryland, Cornell University and the Colorado State College of Agriculture.
The former Ernestine Becker was born in Baltimore and was educated in the public schools here before earning a degree at Cornell University, where she majored in foods and nutrition. She then joined the staff of Hopkins Hospital, teaching student nurses and student dietitians.
In 1921, she moved to the staff of Dr. Elmer Verner McCollum, the discoverer of vitamins A, B and D, who was head of the department of biochemistry in the Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health. She became head of the experimental nutrition laboratory under his direction.
Miss Becker and Dr. McCollum were married in 1946. She helped with revisions of two editions of his book, "Food, Nutrition and Health." She retired in 1960. Dr. McCollum died in 1967.
She had received the Medallion Award of the American Dietetic Association and citations from the University of Maryland, the Maryland Home Economics Association and Meals on Wheels.
In 1984, the Ernestine McCollum Award for Community Service was established by the Manor Care Ruxton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.
Her survivors include a niece and three nephews.
The family suggested memorial contributions to Meals on Wheels of Central Maryland.